Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supafly1703

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
I just got a new 1.67 GHz powerbook, threw in a gig and a half of ram, and I still have pageouts! Just checked Activity moniter, over 100k! Am not doing anything particularly strenuous...what gives?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Virtual memory works in mysterious ways.

I think it's supposed to be like that. I guess there must be some kind of mechanism that determines parts of RAM that is less likely to be used and pages it out even though it's not strictly necessary.

colosodian

macrumors member
May 1, 2005
SF Bay Area
supafly1703 said:
I just got a new 1.67 GHz powerbook, threw in a gig and a half of ram, and I still have pageouts! Just checked Activity moniter, over 100k! Am not doing anything particularly strenuous...what gives?

wow, I only have 1GB and my computer has been on for 2 days = 68 page outs.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
2 days since last reboot on the powerbook, been running all the normal stuff +pshop and world of warcraft (uses lots of ram) and i have 808 pageouts :)

i normally have mail, safari (2-3 windows with 5 tabs each), adium and itunes running, everything else gets exited when i'm done.

If i were you, i'd download OnyX and give your mac a thorough clean out, followed by a repair permissions and a reboot :)

Unless you doing some extreme tasks, or have had you mac running for a couple of months 100k sounds rather high :eek:

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
For me, specs on the bottom, after 16 days of uptime it is 1,359,630 pageins and 239,272 pageouts. :D

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
supafly1703 said:
It's not how many pageouts you have, it's how many per seceond that you have. Another thing to look at is the total size of the swapfiles in /var/vm - note do not delete these, the OS manages the creation and deletion itself.

As for the number of pageouts, my system with 2 GB of ram has been up about 10 days and has over 300,000 pageouts. For us to answer your questions, how long has your system been up, what applications are you running? And web browsers tend to need to be restarted once every few days, they all seem to leak memory.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
p0intblank said:
Can someone please explain to me what a pageout is?

when your computer has to access the drive instead of your ram, high number of pageouts in short amount of time means you need more RAM, for instance. my powermac has 2GB of RAM and has never had a pageout yet, however my powerbook has 512MB RAM and normally has about a hundred thousand pageouts but for some odd reason it has 0 right now (must have restarted lately)

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The worst thing I ever did to bog down my system was to install Virex 7.5

I trashed it after 2 days and reverted to 7.2 and really don't need it at all.

Norton's is even worse.

You might want to check to see what you have pre-set in your startup items.
Sometimes default app settings will launch a program that you don't need.

Activity monitor should also tell you what's running.

You also might want to try Tiger Cache Cleaner to help you maintain your system.

Sorry I'm not much help tonight.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
supafly1703 said:
How many widgets are you running? Some of the widgets seem to be memory hungry.

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
BiikeMike said:
Where do you see your number of pageouts?

Open Activity Monitor, go into System Memory and look in the second column, it should say "Page ins/outs: xxxx/xxxx" (where 'x' is a number).

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 306

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Instead of using Activity Monitor, just go into Terminal and type "top" without the quotation marks(" "). To check your uptime, go into Terminal and type "uptime" without the quotation marks.

Anyway, you get pageouts when your system needs RAM, and there's no free RAM available. Don't worry, even with 2 GB of RAM, sometimes your system needs to use your HD as RAM even if you only have 1 program in use because some of that RAM is still assigned to those inactive programs to make them load faster.

Anyway, Supafly's case seems unusual anyway. That's a lot of pageouts for someone who isn't doing anything strenuous. I don't do anything strenuous with my system either and I have 5000 page-outs after 15 days of uptime.

Go into "ABOUT THIS MAC." Does OSX recognize your 1.5GB of RAM? If not, then there may be something wrong with that RAM slot, or with the RAM itself (less likely).

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Mine's been up just shy of 9 days and has 72700 page outs compared with close to 300,000 page ins. Not too bad at all I don't think considering I've been doing some video encoding recently.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
1G RAM in my PB...
page ins/outs 46606/9453

guess mine is ok?! So I guess I have matched the right spec for the majority of the tasks I do.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I usualy get lots of page outs when I play some intesinve games like KOTOR and UT2004. If I dont game the pageouts start increasing when I have Photoshop and iPhoto loaded. Also FCP and Photoshop

How many page outs do you get, 8 gig RAM owners? ;)

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Chundles said:
Mine's been up just shy of 9 days and has 72700 page outs compared with close to 300,000 page ins. Not too bad at all I don't think considering I've been doing some video encoding recently.

Actually video-editing apps usually take no more than 50-70 MB (my Final Cut Pro and iMovie), cuz they dont load video footage into the ram for the simple reason that video is very large in size and even 8 gigs of RAM will not be enough for it. So they use video from HD thats why HD speed is so important when rendering video

Applespider

macrumors G4
supafly1703 said:

Assume that you've taken the first obvious step to check that the extra RAM is being recognised and working?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
eXan said:
Actually video-editing apps usually take no more than 50-70 MB (my Final Cut Pro and iMovie), cuz they dont load video footage into the ram for the simple reason that video is very large in size and even 8 gigs of RAM will not be enough for it. So they use video from HD thats why HD speed is so important when rendering video

What about using Handbrake to convert DVD to H.264 .mp4 files?

Either way it's not too bad and much better than when I only had 256. I figure that when I start to crave an intelBook I'll just pull out the 256MB stick and bung in a 1GB stick - would've doone it earlier but only just had the $$$ for the 256. Still made a big difference though.

meanmachine

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2003
supafly1703 said:

Page in/outs will jump as soon as you switch users. Restart your PB, see that page in/out is 0/0, then do a user switch and start as the new user some programs and then switch back to the first user. Now recheck the page in/out : there you have it.

:cool:

minimax

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
Does anybody know where to check for pageouts in Win XP ?
When I check Windows Task Manager > Performance it says under Kernel Memory: Paged: xxx Nonpaged: YYY
I guess nonpaged means HD used?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.