Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
buckuxc said:
I have attached a screenshot (I love the Capture Widget) of my activity monitor from 5 days ago, at which point I'm pretty sure the system was running pretty hot and the fan pretty hard.
Wow, world clock seems to be taking up a whole heck of a lot of CPU power. That could be why your fans are running so much.

Edit: Dashboard could definately be your problem why everything is taking so long. It's using a ton of memory.

buckuxc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
No, no Virex or any other anti-virus. I'll try taking down the widgets and see what happens.

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
Looking at your page ins/page outs, I think that you are definitely out of memory and this is the reason for your slowdowns. This isn't a surprise as you seem to be running at least 15(!) widgets, one of which is eating your CPU cycles like mad (is it typically doing that, or is this just a heavy update?).

If you want to check your HD for problems, you can always boot into single user mode and run fsck. There is a sticky somewhere on this forum about how to do that. This is the same thing that Disk Utility does, only it isn't pretty and graphical. I personally doubt you have HD problems though.

You either need to cut back on all the widgets or get more memory, then everything should be up to, or close to, Panther speed.

Jim

buckuxc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Thanks

While it is still running warm, things seem to be closer to normal (aka, pre-Tiger days). I guess I'll just have to wait for some cash and buy a gig stick off of eBay before I start using many widgets (I'd gotten used to them being there for me too :( ). Oh well...

thanks again for the help, and i'll try that fsck thing just in case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.