Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazjwilko

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2022
Hi All

I'm another user who has this same issue. 1-9 keys haven't worked for months and it's really frustrating using the onscreen keyboard (it's amazing how often you need to use 1-9 keys). I've tried all the tests recommended here previously, mouse keys, resetting etc, to no avail. I understand a user commented on a potential issue with the battery above - which I hope it isn't. It just feels strange that so many of us are experiencing this issue currently and I wonder if it is a software update problem where the update has conflicted with the recognition of the keyboard being used. Has anyone tried totally resetting their laptop and re-installing the OS? I haven't yet but I can only imagine this is the only thing i can try now to rule out software issues. My MacBook Pro is about 9-10 years old however I did perform an upgrade of the RAM and installed an SSD last year to improve its function. I'm hoping it's nothing to do with my amateur skills of upgrading the system.... it had worked perfectly for a few months.

If anyone has any other solutions it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks.

AlanBannen

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2022
Hey guys, this is exactly the same problem on my Mac Air 2015 since many many months which is highly frustrating... Did anyone manage to solve it? I'd me more than happy to know how :/

dohaoumpopo

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2023
Hi there
I have exactly the same problem on my 2015 Macbook Air... it has been months I am trying to fix it without success. The 1-9 keys work very rarely, and it is very randomly too. I have been to Apple Genius Bar but they found nothing on the keyboard and could do nothing... It seems it is all on the same model so it should be a manufacture default I guess. In case anyone found the reason and a solution please share it here. Thank you

minimazwaste

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2023
Hi All
I have exactly the same problem on my 2015 Macbook Air. It seems like it is a problem with this mac, right? That is really frustrating as I called Apple assistance times with no success. And they do not admit there is an issue. Yesterday at the end they suggested me to check as it must be physical. I told them that would be a great coincidence just 1-9 broke and sometimes it works back unexpectedly. If anyone finds out the solution, please let us know.

zzziggy

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
Hey! Registered specifically for this topic!
Very happy there's a thread about this numbers problem that I thought nobody else has.. I'm having the same exact issue everybody is typing in the comments above.. Just checking if anyone found a solution?

votiwh

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2023
Same as previous poster, zzziggy, registered for this topic. MacBook Air 2016, use of numbers 1-9 highly erratic. I've tried so many different things, watched so many videos, read so many posts. I'm convinced this is not a physical issue because when they keys work, they work with the lightest of touches, just like any other key. Its functionality, or lack thereof, is entirely unrelated to battery levels. This must be a software problem. It seems distinctly fishy, a more cynical sort than myself might be tempted to suspect Mac are applying a subtle form of pressure/coercion to entice their famously loyal clientele to invest in a newer model...

zzziggy

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
Same as previous poster, zzziggy, registered for this topic. MacBook Air 2016, use of numbers 1-9 highly erratic. I've tried so many different things, watched so many videos, read so many posts. I'm convinced this is not a physical issue because when they keys work, they work with the lightest of touches, just like any other key. Its functionality, or lack thereof, is entirely unrelated to battery levels. This must be a software problem. It seems distinctly fishy, a more cynical sort than myself might be tempted to suspect Mac are applying a subtle form of pressure/coercion to entice their famously loyal clientele to invest in a newer model...
There should be a fix, that somebody found I reckon. There must be. We just need to find that someone :D

saiko06

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2023
2012 Macbook Pro here having the same issue. I think I might have to replace the keyboard to fix this issue but I'm hoping theres something else that's causing this so I wouldn't have to do that.

saiko06

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2023
has nobody found a solution yet
since my last post, i've ordered a replacement keyboard from ifixit and replaced the keyboard myself (the 2012 model was the last one with a screwed on keyboard) and since then i've been able to type numbers. so likely this is the only solution should nothing else work

gazjwilko

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2022
has nobody found a solution yet
I second what @saiko06 mentioned - decided that the only option was to replace the keyboard after trying all suggested fixes online. Not sure which country you’re in @manhaq but I got a replacement palm rest & keyboard for £80 in the UK including fitting.

igmac_user

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2023
i had the same problem just now. Suddenly 1-9 keys didnt work at all. I tried a bunch of things and in the end what worked was to turn on "enable slow keys" and then press 0 on the keyboard (i had to do it really hard for it to work) and then turn off enable slow keys. And it worked! So i suspect that the 1-9 keys are set very slow automatically (even though this shouldn't happen) and have to be manually reset to be fast.

zzziggy

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
It actually worked for me, but just for a little while.. What is your experience?
Update: this method stopped working for me.. It was kinda working, tho I needed to do it 5-6 times a day. And all of the number keys worked as new. Until now where 'slow keys' method doesn't work anymore, and what's worse - none of the others I used to use.. Anyone?

KennyJr

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2020
Click on option 5 times. I've had problems like that where ultimately I found that I have my mouse keys on.

KennyJr

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2020
What do you mean?
Clicking the option key 5 times will allow you to use the number keys to act as your mouse. Try it. Click the option key 5 times again will turn mouse keys off (a display icon will announce mouse keys off).

KennyJr

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2020
Clicking the option key 5 times will allow you to use the number keys to act as your mouse. Try it. Click the option key 5 times again will turn mouse keys off (a display icon will announce mouse keys off).
Google "Control the pointer using Mouse Keys on Mac" for a more detailed look.

eseteefe

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2023
Hello everyone. This problem appeared on my computer (Macbook Air 2015, bought new in 2018) slowly, the number keys started to have a small lag but I didn't pay much attention until today, when I had the hardest time trying to log in bc my password includes numbers and the keys from 2 to 9 stopped working. I relaunched a couple of times with no success, then I did the hard launch and it randomly started working after I tried to log in by saying I'd forgotten my password bc I was unable to type it in. I read this entire thread to see if anyone had found any solutions, and as of now I activated and deactivated the slow keys, which is working so far but after reading these messages I won't get my hopes too high, so I also had to disable the lock screen to avoid going through that mess again, and I also created a note with all of the numbers so I can copy and paste them, but of course it is not ideal. My guess is that this is just some sort of programmed obsolescence for these "old" macbook computers, but I refuse to buy another one bc apart from that, it works just fine. I hope you can come up with a permanent solution for this. As for now, I'm updating the OS as much as I can.

CYJane

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2023
After experiencing the same issue on my MBA 2017 running Monterey, and watching many videos everything seemed to point to the Accessibility options and Mouse & Trackpad.
Since playing around with the settings in here and unchecking 'Spring-loading delay' - numbers 1-9 are working all the time! try and see if it works?
Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 13.20.29.png

zzziggy

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
Bummer.. Nothing seems to longer work for me with all the methods in this thread :/ Only "§0-=' from the line work..

eseteefe

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2023
I managed to fix it from Nov. 16 until now, and the aforementioned solution didn't work anymore,but the weirdest thing happened: I tried using the fn key with the numbers, and it worked! and now they work correctly, but it's really random. Try it as a last resort if the Accessibility option doesn't work.

Niksgee

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2023
I joined to say the same. Macbook pro 2015 running montery. I have tried everything nothing works. Everything everything else works fine on the keyboard 0 key works but 1 to 9 does not. Has anyone found a solution that works?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.