Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super Xander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Denmark
Hi all
Do anyone know or are able to test if the first generation trackpad will work on the new update to iPadOS or is it only the second generation?

chrizel

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2004
Hi,

using it right now - yes, it works, but sadly (currently?) no gestures and no scrolling possible. Therefore it is very limited in use, you have to lift your hand and scroll on the screen.

Thinking myself about buying the Trackpad 2, but it‘s so expensive...

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I tested my old gen 1 trackpad and loved the [limited] functionality, so I ordered a new gen 2 trackpad and have my old keyboard connected to my iPP 12.9”, sitting on the iPad stand I made years ago. I’m also really digging using the iPad out of the keyboard folio, which feels like I’ve got a new iPad (although I now want a skin for the back for protection).

I will order a new Magic Keyboard folio as soon as it officially launches, but given there is no travel plans, I am ok with a non-mobile desk setup.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Just thought I would chime back in, now that I’ve had a few hours of using my new Magic Trackpad 2 with my desk setup for my iPad Pro 12.9” (2018). It’s an almost seamless transition, more similar to using my iMac, although a few of the multi-touch actions and on-screen link clicks are a bit different. I can see how the new Magic Keyboard folio is going to be just awesome - although I’ll likely miss the larger footprint of the full sized trackpad. Between these new controls and what I think will be some great new features and visuals with iPadOS 14, I’m excited to be making the iPad Pro my EDC.

Superman730

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
I'm glad others have reported issues with Magic Trackpad 1. I just hooked mine up after the software update today and I was like... why aren't half of the gestures working? I guess I might have to spring for the Trackpad 2 but the price seems bonkers high to me...

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I'm glad others have reported issues with Magic Trackpad 1. I just hooked mine up after the software update today and I was like... why aren't half of the gestures working? I guess I might have to spring for the Trackpad 2 but the price seems bonkers high to me...

Find one of the Trackpad 2’s on eBay - they’ve got a bunch new at discounted prices. It’s what I ended up doing last week.

dborod

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
I'm very disappointed that there's no gesture support for this device on iPad. This device does gestures on macOS, so it's clearly possible.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Glad, I guess, to hear it’s not just me. Disappointed my otherwise sidelined Magic Trackpad 1 doesn’t really work with 13.4. All I can do is move the cursor around and click on things. Without gestures it’s not really all that useful to me. As pointed out, it’s seems that the hardware is capable, so I wonder why it doesn’t work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.