Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kipsley

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Western Australia
Hey everyone. I have an old Mac Pro (mid 2012) running Mojave 10.14.6
My problem is with my 2 SSD drives (both are bootable) one is 1TB, the other is 250GB.
The 250GB SSD shows up in "start up disk" where I can choose the disk to boot from, but the 1TB SSD does not show up.

The difference is that the 250GB SSD is GPT (GUID Partition Table), while the 1TB SSD is MBR (Master Boot Record), and I have discovered that that does not let it show up in "start up disk" even though not works just fine.

So then how do I get my 1TB SSD to be GPT (GUID Partition Table)?

Kipsley

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Western Australia
Disk Utility doesn't give me an option for selecting GPT.
I get APFS, and Mac OS Extended, MS-DOS (FAT), and ex-FAT, but these options are only available when asking to erase a HDD.
The SSD options are only Mac OS Extended, and MS-DOS (FAT), and ex-Fat. No APFS options.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I get APFS, and Mac OS Extended, MS-DOS (FAT), and ex-FAT, but these options are only available when asking to erase a HDD.
The SSD options are only Mac OS Extended, and MS-DOS (FAT), and ex-Fat. No APFS options.
after erasing the ssd, one can select APFS on the blank drive in Mojave when formatting.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Those are file system format types. Make sure you select the following menu in Disk Utility.. View > Show all devices ... afterwards, select the top most level "device" representing your external drive and "Erase". You should be prompted to pick a partition map type.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.