Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which would be better for minimizing render time in Premiere Pro CC?

• $10,000 PC

Votes: 22 100.0%
  • $10,000 Mac

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nicktendo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2019
I was wondering if I would be better off in terms of saving render time (effects, codec conversion, etc.) spending $10,000 on a custom PC rig or a pre-built Mac rig. I use Adobe Premiere Pro, as well as Photoshop and Illustrator. Any ideas?

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Sort of a moot question as Apple don’t make a comparable workstation (yet).

If your only concern is speed and not specifically into Mac products, until we get news if there is going to be a new Mac Pro later this year the only answer is get the PC in my opinion.

Reactions: ssgbryan

XNorth

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2018
United States
Don’t even try Premeire on a Mac if you can avoid it. And you don’t need to spend $10k. For under $5K you can get a speedy i9, 64G RAM, 2080ti, thunderbolt 3, 10GbE, and a decent P3 monitor.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I use the Adobe suite and Premiere Pro CC (currently 2019) on macOS almost daily. The software performs very well and Adobe has made massive improvements in support of Metal in the past few years. I miss CUDA with some aspects of my workflow but Adobe stepping up its game helped a lot.

You can spend $3k or $30k+ on a system. End of the day, it doesn’t matter unless you know how to use the tools and get the most out of them. If you’re not technically savvy enough to know the difference, spend some time researching.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
PC. Since I use Final Cut, I go Mac. Maybe when Apple releases the new Mac Pro with new Xeons (hoping for Xeon Platinum) Final Cut users will finally get something truly cutting edge. For Premiere, PC for sure. Even when the new Mac Pro comes out, those components are still available on PCs.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Please do not spend $10K on video editing machine alone. Save money to buy proper monitors like Eizo and one TV set like Sony AF8 instead. Trust me you don't need dual CPUs anymore for video work, get yourself some i9 or Threadripper for under $1k to be future proof for about 5 years and dual RTX 2070 (or 2060) for render. If you are at gunpoint to work with RED files on daily basis then there goes your ten grand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.