Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2001
I've just spent 4 hours going round every Mac reseller in Edinburgh to try to get the update. The only place in town that had it gave away its 20 copies by 9.10 a.m.
The rest of the copie were put in boxed stock. So if your real desperate for the update buy a new mac today.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
That's a bummer...

Originally posted by colm
I've just spent 4 hours going round every Mac reseller in Edinburgh to try to get the update. The only place in town that had it gave away its 20 copies by 9.10 a.m.
The rest of the copie were put in boxed stock. So if your real desperate for the update buy a new mac today.

I feel for you, man...I got up bright and early...within the first 10 minutes BEFORE the store opened, 25 folks showed up.

I'm a happy owner of a 10.1 update. But I bet a lot of folks will miss out.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Well.....

I talked to my local compusa and they said that indeed they can burn me a copy if they run out of the real stuff. I would like to have a real Apple disk not a copy but desprite times call for desprite measures.

colm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2001
you got it - cool

how's about posting a disk image for us unfortunate souls that apple forgot about?

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: you got it - cool

how's about posting a disk image for us unfortunate souls that apple forgot about?

Man, I'd love to...but I recently left behind my T3 connection to go on vacation, and I'll tell you...multiple downloads on a 56k just doesn't go too swiftly.

However, I found this guy who is doing a web page with mirrors of the updater:

http://www.btinternet.com/~nickshanks/macosx/

Hope that helps.

So far, I'm impressed. 10.1 is speedy and all. I wish it supported serial devices (HP printer connected to my printer port). Alas....

colm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2001
cheers - it ain't there yet

Found his page but it an't there yet. Your right its damn fast. Better than my Telewest Cable

colm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2001
10.1 is it 5g64

is the upgrade version of 10.1 coded 5g64 or is it the much rumored 5g68?

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: 10.1 is it 5g64

is the upgrade version of 10.1 coded 5g64 or is it the much rumored 5g68?

It is indeed 5G64...that should make some folks who did downloads on Hotline happy.

colm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2001
good news

I can restart my download only 2.2hrs till 10.1 heaven!

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Re: good news

I can restart my download only 2.2hrs till 10.1 heaven!

Make it 3.2 hours. The installer takes a ridiculous amount of time to do its thing. And I mean *ridiculous.*

This is on a beige G3, but still....

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Adventure Log

A friend and I went down to the CompUSA Superstore in downtown San Francisco in time for them to open at 9am. There were a couple dozen other geeks there who had the same idea. It was kind of amusing to see us all filing down the escalator single-file and heading straight back to the Mac section... to find a couple of Apple reps profusely apologizing that FedEx had not shown up with the goods yet. They had full packages they could sell us for $129 (uh, no), but otherwise they were all ready to take contact information from us. Hopefully, they said, they would be in today's shipment, but regardless they guaranteed to hold the first ones for us. So we were understandably grumbly, but nobody broke out the torches and pitchforks, and the Apple reps were just great. They remained cool, composed and friendly under what must have been very stressful circumstances for them.

So because we had nothing better to do, my friend and I wandered down to the Embarcadero, had coffee and generally enjoyed a beautiful morning. He had a book; I had my Blackberry, so we read and had coffee and watched the pigeons and other assorted city birds get into scuffles over who got to come over and see if we were dropping crumbs. Sometime along the way my friend's wife (who is a geek, but not insane enough to get up that early in the morning on a Saturday) came out and joined us. We wandered down to the Metreon, bought Ico and Silent Hill 2 (woo!), had some nice lunch, and then just to check, went back down to CompUSA.

One of the Apple reps was still hanging around, installing 10.1 on the display machines. I asked him if the upgrades had shown up. Obviously he didn't remember us being there that morning, because he told us that they were all spoken for and we'd have to put our names on the list.

"But they're here, right?" I asked, "Because we're ON the list." The Apple guy called another guy from the back. Turns out they had come off the truck like ten minutes before, and we were apparently the first ones to show up and claim them. YAY. I felt bad having to explain the situation to the guy who stopped us on the way out to ask, "Hey, where'd you get those!?"

So long story short (too late), it was a beautiful Saturday morning in the City, we got our upgrades, I had a game to play while I installed (Ico is just a gorgeous piece of work), and 10.1 has been just about as great as I could possibly have hoped. Yeah, there are still a few minor issues, but nothing nearly offensive enough to foul my mood.

I should have more days like this. Seriously. Just thought I'd share.

sirron

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2001
Valley Center
[Unhappy] [Thumbs down]
No icon
I just came from CompUSA in Escondido, Ca. I asked a clerk if he knew anything about Macs, He said, "Unfortunately, yes". The store received one 10.1 disk and were told to burn copies, of course they scratched that master . Probably so they wouldn't have to deal with Mac people like me. I guess I'll have to send Apple their $20. I've already used more than$20 of gas going to and from the store!

[Edited by sirron on 10-04-2001 at 05:49 PM]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.