Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
If it's anything like past releases then you can do what most of us Appleseed members have done for years; install the beta on a different partition of the same internal drive. It doesn't impact your "production" partition (make sure to keep that backed up properly) and allows you to play/test the new OS when you have time (a simple reboot to switch between the two OSes).

Did it with 10.6 through 10.9 betas and never had any issues. The more people that test and provide feedback the better. Cheers.

Do you disable Spotlight on the 'beta' partition? I don't want double entries in the Spotlight window for system apps (for example, Maps on both Mavericks and Yosemite would appear as two entries on a Spotlight search).

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Do you disable Spotlight on the 'beta' partition? I don't want double entries in the Spotlight window for system apps (for example, Maps on both Mavericks and Yosemite would appear as two entries on a Spotlight search).

I never disabled it myself so I did get the double-entries but it wasn't an issue for me as it was expected. By all means you should disable it if you don't want that happening.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
I still think charging $99 for developer program is stupid. it made sense back when OS X wasn't free, but not anymore. Why would one pay for buggy version when the stable one is gonna be free?? They should either make developer program free of charge, or make DP releases available for everyone, not just dev program. The way it was with win8 DP releases, no one complained about bugs, cause people understand these versions are far from stable.

Last edited by a moderator:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I signed up. I may put it on an external SSD and run it from there. I don't want to mess with my regular setup on a beta.

I hope this is a viable option, if so I will do this too. I'm sure I have an external HD or two I'm not using.

Anyway I signed up. It's really cool they're doing public betas now, I look forward to trying this stuff out. Yosemite looks like a nice upgrade to OS X, good to see Apple giving it some proper love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.