Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Anyone who updated to 10.11.4 (build 15E33e) yesterday (January 27) seeing their home folder appear on the desktop as a mounted server?

I don't have server or hard drive icons show up on my desktop at all, so it stood out to me when my computer restarted after updating to the latest beta.

See the screenshot below. The red circles are everywhere it's showing up that it didn't before the update. The blue circle is the only place it should show up.

Obviously, I can't "eject" the mounted server because it's my home folder. I know how to turn the desktop icon off, but I'm wondering why it's showing up as a Shared server mount to begin with.

Anyone got any ideas?

image.png

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Anyone who updated to 10.11.4 (build 15E33e) yesterday (January 27) seeing their home folder appear on the desktop as a mounted server?

I don't have server or hard drive icons show up on my desktop at all, so it stood out to me when my computer restarted after updating to the latest beta.

See the screenshot below. The red circles are everywhere it's showing up that it didn't before the update. The blue circle is the only place it should show up.

Obviously, I can't "eject" the mounted server because it's my home folder. I know how to turn the desktop icon off, but I'm wondering why it's showing up as a Shared server mount to begin with.

Anyone got any ideas?

image.png

Can you go to System Preferences>Sharing and see if anything's ticked? Try untick everything you see and restart, any better?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
no such issue here... look at the Finder Preferences window; anything checked (under 'show these items on the desktop"? if so, try unchecking them, rebooting...

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Yes, I do know how to turn icons on and off on the desktop. That's not the problem. The problem is that the home folder is being treated as a server by the OS itself. It actually asks me to "connect" to my home folder with a server connection dialog box. It's really odd.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Just some random thoughts and questions...
Is the mounted user folder merely your "Cudadrive" volume?
Maybe it is all some issue that means you need to update your barracuda software? (or move back to the non-beta OS X 10.11.3 :D )

What boxes are ticked in your Sharing pref pane?

Also - why is your "mounted" folder showing the name jamesd, but your "shared device" shows the name james?

What external storage do you have attached, in addition to the "Seagate31"?
If you disconnect from your network, do you still have the "james" device showing?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Just some random thoughts and questions...
Well, I've done quite a bit of tinkering in the last few days, and the problem appears to have gone away.

The reason for the James vs. JamesD is that my Username is JamesD, but my computer name (found in the File Sharing dialog box) is James. File sharing was turned on, thus it shows up under the Shared Drives area in the sidebar. I've turned off File Sharing, as I had forgotten that I turned it on for a specific use a while back.

Thanks for asking the questions, because it helped to narrow down what may have been causing the problem. I uninstalled Copy/CudaDrive because the service is being shut down—this may have been the cause, I don't know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.