Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
Switzerland
I have a 10.11.6 Mac mini DNS Server (5.2). Starting a few days ago, I get an error message whenever I try to get into the DNS Server administration about the configuration not being able to be read properly and therefore the "Service functionality and administration might be affected".

/Library/Server/named still contains all the DNS entries, configs etc and the service is seemingly still running as it it is properly resolving DNS calls.

It's just that the DNS list is empty when I enter the Mac Server app DNS configuration.

For the moment, the Server is running as-is and untouched. I can work on a clone drive I am able to boot an unconnected Mac mini from. So far I can confirm that neither a restart of the DNS service nor a restart of the whole Server has any affect on the error.

Is there a way to "reconnect" to the existing settings? Since there is also a Kerio Mailserver running on the Mac mini and Apple will slowly reducing Server Services in the long run anyway, I would like to stay on 10.11 for a while. So an update is not really an option. Also, I would greatly appreciate it if I wouldn't have to reenter all DNS entries. Especially without knowing what the error is to begin with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.