Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattjohnson78

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Southern California
Joined the developer program to try out El Capitan. All was good with DP1 and DP2 was better but DP3 is crap and has to many bugs that were not present in DP1 and DP2. Had to do fresh install of Yosemite on my MacBook Pro and Mac Mini. Will stay with it for awhile till I hear better about future DPs.

I can't believe Apple released that build as a Public Preview, DP2 was much better and with a lot fewer bugs. I would not recommend it be installed.

mattjohnson78

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Southern California
What do you talking about? Its awesome!

Better that Dp 1 and DP 2

Graphical errors with Finder and the Folders in it. Resizing of Finder. Graphical error on start up. Problem with programs. Now a lot of it is graphical problems that were not present in DP1 and DP2.

Now it might be my system but I have read others with the same problems. Also I did a fresh install, no Time Machine backup, so I know its DP3.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I had many problems with DP1 and DP2, the DP3 is by far the most stable for me. Its quite interesting that people have all these contradicting experiences :D

Reactions: ABC5S

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Probably device driver related - the two machines run very different hardware. It's a Developer Preview after all, not released software.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
DP3 is the worst developer preview yet. Terrible. I don't know how this made it to release.

Finder sidebar doesn't resize.
Dock gets a weird shadowing glitch, only solution is 'killall Dock'.
Graphical glitch at startup.
f.lux behaves weirdly if you have 'ambient light compensation' on.

Just a mess. DP2 was way, way better. Apple was high when they tested this.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
DP3 is the worst developer preview yet. Terrible. I don't know how this made it to release.

Finder sidebar doesn't resize.
Dock gets a weird shadowing glitch, only solution is 'killall Dock'.
Graphical glitch at startup.
f.lux behaves weirdly if you have 'ambient light compensation' on.

Just a mess. DP2 was way, way better. Apple was high when they tested this.
The only thing I'm somewhat experiencing is that my Finder sidebar will resize, but it always reverts to the default placement upon closing the window and opening a new one.

Other than that, DP3 has been perfect for me. Even better than DP1 and DP2. So I don't think it's Apple failing to test properly, it's just a matter of them not being able to test every possible configuration of software (including third party apps), hardware, and peripherals. If you're experiencing issues (not just you, but anyone who reads this), be sure to submit feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.