Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
For those of you thinking about dipping your toes in 10.11 but don't want to upgrade a production machine...Fusion 7 seems to be working pretty well. I posted these items to the VMware Communities board:

26 June: Running Fusion 7.1.2 on a 2012 Mac Mini (running 10.9.5) - updated a 10.10.4 beta VM to 10.11.0 DP1 with no issues. Installed VMware tools using the "rootless=0" workaround. Updated to 10.11.0 DP2 via Software Update. That worked fine except graphics were very slow. Tried to reinstall VMware tools using the rootless=0 workaround. Got a message that the package was incompatible with this version of the operating system, could cause issues, etc. I said install anyway. When the VM restarted after the install, most of the keys on my keyboard weren't recognized (USB hard-wired apple KB) when trying to enter my password. With no way to get into the VM, I reverted to a previous snapshot and reinstalled 10.11.0 DP2 again, but no VMware tools. Anyone seeing the same issue or have any ideas?

8 July: Just to let folks know....I updated my Mac from OS X 10.9.5 to 10.10.4 yesterday and updated my OS X 10.11 DP2 VM to DP3 today. Did not try to install VMware Tools based on issues I had with DP2. The VM is running great so far, very smooth animations, much better than DP1 even with VMware Tools installed. Finder still won't display folder contents in icon view though, have to use list view.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I plugged an SD card into an external card reader...then went into the USB & Bluetooth settings in the top bar of the VM window, selected the card and told it to "connect to VM". It mounted on the VM desktop and I was able to access files on the card with no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.