Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazzbeaunola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
N'Awlins
Just updated to 10.12.4 on my 2013 6-core Mac Pro with D700s and 16 GB RAM. I have the 30" Cinema HD monitor, which still works beautifully. It's connected to the MacPro via Apple's Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link Display Adapter. Since the update, the monitor is only working at 1280 X 800 and not the 2560 X 1600 it's capable of. I've rebooted, reset the NVRAM, held down the option key in the Display System Preference (only reveals the possibility of even lower resolutions). I called AppleCare, and am being told that my monitor is now obsolete and that my choices are to keep using it at half-rez or purchase a new monitor. Anyone else encountered this problem or have suggestions for a solution? The thought of giving up this gorgeous 30" display makes me cringe for a number of reasons!

tygrubb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Back when I was using an even older Cinema Display (had to use a $300 ADB to DVI adaptor) and lost the USB functionality after an update, Apple said the same thing....buy a new one. Searched online, read about copying the kernel extensions from the older version of the OS to the new one using the KEXT Utility app. Worked perfectly.

That was just for USB support. Have no idea if that would work for your issue.

Connect your monitor up to a machine that hasn't upgraded yet. Go into System Profiler, into the system extensions list, and try to identify the kext associated with your display. Then copy file to the System/Library/Extensions folder on your upgraded system and run KEXT Utility (Google it) to set the proper permissions.

It may or may not work, no guarantees. Be sure to make a copy of the original on your upgraded machine in case the new (well, old one) causes problems.

jazzbeaunola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
N'Awlins
Back when I was using an even older Cinema Display (had to use a $300 ADB to DVI adaptor) and lost the USB functionality after an update, Apple said the same thing....buy a new one. Searched online, read about copying the kernel extensions from the older version of the OS to the new one using the KEXT Utility app. Worked perfectly.

That was just for USB support. Have no idea if that would work for your issue.

Connect your monitor up to a machine that hasn't upgraded yet. Go into System Profiler, into the system extensions list, and try to identify the kext associated with your display. Then copy file to the System/Library/Extensions folder on your upgraded system and run KEXT Utility (Google it) to set the proper permissions.

It may or may not work, no guarantees. Be sure to make a copy of the original on your upgraded machine in case the new (well, old one) causes problems.

Thanks for the suggestion....I'll look into this....sounds like it's worth a shot.....just hate to give up this gorgeous monitor!

tygrubb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Just saw this on another forum I frequent:

Rad said:
Just updated to 10.12.4 on my 2013 6-core Mac Pro with D700s and 64 GB RAM. I have two 30" monitors. The resolution of one of the monitors, a Dell U3011 connected with displayport, is now being limited to 1080P max and not the native 2560 X 1600. Rebooted several times with no change. Never had this problem before. [...]

Fixed it by deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist then rebooting, then pressing the option key when toggling to scaled resolution in the display preferences of the control panel. The correct resolution was now an option. Looks like Apple does not even bother testing updates on the very old yet still new 2013 Mac Pro. Not impressed.

Last edited:

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
@jazzbeaunola,

Hmm....that's strange! You should be able to run your set-up at full resolution.

I have my 2013 4-core Mac Pro (with D300s) and 12GB RAM hooked up to the 23" Apple Cinema HD Display. This works with macOS 10.12.3 and well as with the new macOS 10.12.4. It is connected via a Thunderbolt 2 port on the Mac and is running at the full 1920 x 1200 resolution with no problems.

Unfortunately, I have no helpful advice for you. Best of luck in diagnosing your problem.

Sincerely,
richmlow

Just updated to 10.12.4 on my 2013 6-core Mac Pro with D700s and 16 GB RAM. I have the 30" Cinema HD monitor, which still works beautifully. It's connected to the MacPro via Apple's Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link Display Adapter. Since the update, the monitor is only working at 1280 X 800 and not the 2560 X 1600 it's capable of. I've rebooted, reset the NVRAM, held down the option key in the Display System Preference (only reveals the possibility of even lower resolutions). I called AppleCare, and am being told that my monitor is now obsolete and that my choices are to keep using it at half-rez or purchase a new monitor. Anyone else encountered this problem or have suggestions for a solution? The thought of giving up this gorgeous 30" display makes me cringe for a number of reasons!

jazzbeaunola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
N'Awlins
Just saw this on another forum I frequent:

Yes, I saw that possible solution when I began researching.....unfortunately I was unable to find /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist on my updated machine. Thanks for replying....most appreciated!

michaelonaitisdesign

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
I had the same issue happen with my 30" Cinema which is old but still works perfectly. I shut down the mac pro, unplugged the DVI adapter from the thunderbolt connection on the mac pro. I then pulled the power cord out of the DVI Adapter to restart the monitor. I then started the mac pro with the DVI adapter still disconnected and then got the res for my other two monitors set just right. Next I plugged in the Thunderbolt DVI adapter cable into the mac pro and when I opened up the display prefs It had listed the full resolution of the monitor at 2560x1600. Working fine now. Hope this helps.

ErnestVogliano

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2018
I had the same issue happen with my 30" Cinema which is old but still works perfectly. I shut down the mac pro, unplugged the DVI adapter from the thunderbolt connection on the mac pro. I then pulled the power cord out of the DVI Adapter to restart the monitor. I then started the mac pro with the DVI adapter still disconnected and then got the res for my other two monitors set just right. Next I plugged in the Thunderbolt DVI adapter cable into the mac pro and when I opened up the display prefs It had listed the full resolution of the monitor at 2560x1600. Working fine now. Hope this helps.

Thank you that worked perfectly. Took a few hours to find someone with the right solution.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Power cycling "older" connections like this suggestion has helped with many newer graphics cards. Good luck!

cwpictures

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2018

having the same issue... tried this 2wice and still have 1280x800 as the best res.. SMH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.