Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Greetings!

How do you convert an HDD over to APFS after upgrade?

I have a single, standard SATA hard drive in my 2011 MBPro, and of course the in-place upgrade to High Sierra did not auto-convert it over to APFS.

I went to Disk Utility, but the "Convert to APFS" was grayed-out (unusable).

I booted my MBPro to the Recovery mode, and "Convert to APFS" is still grayed-out.

So what's next for me to try to get my High Sierra over to APFS, without having to lose data or reformat/restore data?

Thanks!

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
Support for a boot disk apparently. My installation is on a SSD so no problem there, but I’ve been able to convert my 3 other drives (rotational) without issue.

Eligos

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
Greetings!

How do you convert an HDD over to APFS after upgrade?

I have a single, standard SATA hard drive in my 2011 MBPro, and of course the in-place upgrade to High Sierra did not auto-convert it over to APFS.

I went to Disk Utility, but the "Convert to APFS" was grayed-out (unusable).

I booted my MBPro to the Recovery mode, and "Convert to APFS" is still grayed-out.

So what's next for me to try to get my High Sierra over to APFS, without having to lose data or reformat/restore data?

Thanks!

Just reboot into your Recovery Partition.
Unmount your hard drive in Disk Utility and then "Convert to APFS" will not be greyed out anymore.

Reactions: j2048b
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.