Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hi guys,
I recently updated my Mojave with, I think, the Security update 2020-002. My Version is this: 10.14.6 (18G4032)

I started to have random freezes. Sometimes, it goes back to normal after a few seconds. Sometimes, the computer is stuck completely and I can only hard-shutdown it, sometimes I get graphical glitches. I've attached some screenshots of the glitches.

From my observations, this
a: happened since this security update
b: it feels like only, when Adobe CC software is open and being used. (my Adobe Software is continuously up-to-date).

Any ideas what this could be and how I could solve this?

Thank you very much!
Marcel

Attachments

• IMG_2336.jpg
    IMG_2336.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 1,056
  • IMG_2332.jpg
    IMG_2332.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_2333.jpg
    IMG_2333.jpg
    668 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_2334.jpg
    IMG_2334.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_2335.jpg
    IMG_2335.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 413

foxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hi Bollman,
thanks for your reply. What makes you think that? Isn't it especially weird that it happens since a security update?

My model is: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
Processer: 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7

Thank you!

foxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Thanks bollmann.
After reinstalling from Recovery, I offers me to install the 2020-002 Update again. I didn't do it and since no more issues. Thinking the culprit might be actually that update.

Thanks for your help!

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Just to chime in — this issue seemed to be associated with CPU spikes. For me, it happens most with FaceTime or Skype.

foxs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I think it is to do with anything GPU related. I don't think it is related to the CPU. There's fixes on the internet that all talk about disabling GPU related features. Anyways. Rolling back by reinstalling from recovery solves the problem.

Minipudding

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2019
Scandinavia
I have the same and other problems since this security update. For me, Firefox now randomly hard-hangs when loading pages with a lot of images, for example browsing the front page of Imgur. If I can catch it coming and kill FF quick enough I am sometimes able to prevent macOS from locking up completely.

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon
Count me in for this failure. Happens about once a day for me. I usually see it running VMware Fusion 10.1.6. on latest Mojave.

There is a link to a Mr. Macintosh article that corresponds with what I'm seeing. Specifically:

2015 13" Macbook Pro, Intel graphics, gpuRestart file in /Library/Logs/..., sudo reboot exits ssh but doesn't actually reboot

I don't know if I want to roll back the security update or just go to Catalina.

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon
A month has gone by since Apple pushed out the "Security" update that broke Mojave for me. I'm still seeing crashes, accompanied by gpuRestart log files. Apple asks us to allow sending them automatic crash analytics, but apparently ignores them.

I can't take the crashes any more. I'm on to the Catalina cesspool. Wish me luck.

uploaded

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2009
I'm in the same situation. Very bad. But, isn't there a security update 2020-003 BETA that's currently being tested? Maybe this is the solution to our problem. If that doesn't help, we can unfortunately only downgrade and block the update 2020-002.
Better keep your fingers off Catalina...you will burn them ;-)

Reactions: levanid

levanid

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
It's actually not just videoconferencing. A lot of applications that uses the GPU heavily could trigger this.

Thank you sooo much!
I was suffering from freezes for more than a month and I thought the problem was with my 3rd party SSD or adapter for it or even worse – the hardware of my 13" MacBook Pro 2015.

Yesterday I reinstalled Mojave 10.14.16 and just installed 2020-001 18G3020 update
Today I had 0 freezes for the whole videoconferencing day.

Before that it was more than 20 freezes in logs.

I hope that upcoming patch 2020-03 would fix that horrible issue for all of us

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 19.15.16.png

Last edited:

Edison Pancubila

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2020
Hi Bollman, I encountered same problem, our Macintosh desktop freezes when using video conference via Webex. But my wife using Zoom, she never encounter any issue. This only happens a week ago, when it freezes, there’s nothing I can do but to force shut down.
[automerge]1590371749[/automerge]
Hi Bollman, I encountered same problem, our Macintosh desktop freezes when using video conference via Webex. But my wife using Zoom, she never encounter any issue. This only happens a week ago, when it freezes, there’s nothing I can do but to force shut down.
Do you think if we use MacKeeper (a Mac cleaner software and security) it will resolve the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.