Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basehead617

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
MacOS 10.15.3 - Got the new Mac Pro back in January.. been totally great up until today.

Geekbench and black magic disk speed benchmarks are totally normal, but all applications take FOREVER to start up. Startup applications take about 1 minute each to start up and complete, so the machine isn't fully started up for ages. Opening any application takes 1-3 minutes to come up.

This just started today, it was all lightning fast before.

Someone mentioned the SSD might be dying prematurely, but wouldn't that affect disk speed benchmarks if it's such a constant issue?

Anything else I can try?!

I didn't freak out when it first happened because I just thought a cold boot would fix it but it didn't.

Edit: I did just notice that doing things in applications is also taking a long time - could it be ram? Is there a good way to test ram specifically?

daemondust

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
I think applications are checked against Apple's servers on launch. Try disconnecting from the network and see if you still have the same problem. Probably due to the Big Sur launch that isn't going so well.

basehead617

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
I think applications are checked against Apple's servers on launch. Try disconnecting from the network and see if you still have the same problem. Probably due to the Big Sur launch that isn't going so well.

Whew good to know to try next time -- SOMEHOW, after I did a hold-D Diagnostics boot (no issues found), then into Recovery Mode, then reboot again from there, it went away. I don't know if it had anything to do with what I did or if the servers cleared up as you said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.