Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple][Forever

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2002
weird...

Right after I installed it, the machine rebooted and gave me the question mark (which seems to be the mac equivalent of the middle finger.)

When I booted off my os9 disk and ran Startup Disk there was no OS X system folder... err...

well, it was still on the hard drive. that's good.

When I popped my 10.2 install disk into my other cd drive, i looked in its system folder to see if there were any differences. my BootX was a different date than the other components, so I copied the BootX from the CD over to the System/Library/CoreServices folder and reran Startup Disk. Voila!

And, FWIW, I hadn't run any of the BootX patchers that give you the Happy Mac back. Perhaps it had just somehow got corrupted since my last reboot which was about a month ago.

But, in case anyone else sees this problem, that's how I fixed it.

daRAT

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
too bad my lexmark printer doesn't work...lexmark hasn't made drivers yet, but the print center recognizes the printer when i try to add it, but it then has an error -1...what's the deal with that?

Yeah, my HP 842 doesn't work either, evn with drivers from HP. Granted, they maybe still working on them. The only thing I can print is the test page from HP Toolbox program.

I don't believe the printer worked in eariler versions of X, sooo nothing gained, nothing lost ;]

-----

Oops, I sould have read the directions more, all fixed, the HP works great under X :]

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Re: One Question for anyone who knows...

Originally posted by reyesmac
Does anyone here know if Apple releases these point releases on CD? Like, if I wanted to buy OS X 10.2.1, could I get that whole OS on a disk. Or does Apple not update their OS disks when they update the OS and you just have to buy 10.2 and then update it after you install it?:confused:

Eventually, the 10.2 you buy at retail stores, and the 10.2 that comes pre-loaded on computers will become 10.2.1, but that's just a matter of time. Apple doesn't release updates like this on CD's.

I can d/l the image, and burn it on a disk for you. It depends on how far I have to ship it. You're from central Texas, and I'm in McAllen so it wouldn't cost much... I forget postage rates these days... How much does it cost to send something within the state? is it still thirty-something cents? If so, I'd be willing to send it to you. Just give me a PM.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon

Well, Disk First Aid does say "If a disk has severe problems, you may need to use other problems to repair it completely."

Yeah, I know, I ran SystemWorks right after and it fixed the problem just fine. But what bugs me is if the computer can't fix it, it shouldn't say "Disk has been repaired." when it really wasn't.

drone139

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Columbus, OH
10.2.1 USB Mouse

I have a MacAlly mouse for my PB and the option to disable the track pad when a mouse is detected now works!
This is a nice feature and it never worked before.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
Originally posted by Hemingray
Welp, I just installed the 10.2.1 update, and my Sonnet Tempo ATA/100 card STILL causes a kernel panic on startup. :mad: Keep in mind that this was something that WORKED before 6C9x only to have them break it and not fix it. I talked with Sonnet tech support and it sounds like they're going to try to do something about it with a firmware update, which may be available relatively soon. Let's hope!

Oh, and after booting in single user mode my computer has found a whole slew of new disk errors that fsck -y will NOT fix. It just keeps reporting the same errors over and over again regardless of how many times I run fsck -y. Gee, how anti-climactic this update has turned out to be...

I sincerely hope the rest of you have had better results.

My Sonnet ATA/100 card works fine in 10.2.1 (and it worked fine in 10.2) so I'm wondering if there are different versions of the card or something. I can boot from the card or from a drive on the built-in bus and the drives on the card work great either way. I tried out the card in both a 9600 with a G4 upgrade and a beige G3 with a G3 upgrade.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Stike

Sorry, scem0, this time youre wrong. beez did not reply on my problem, it was someones elses...

And what has changed? Seems more stable, progs launch faster, system seems more responsive. And my bootup time has been reduced by about ...hmmm... say 8 to 10 secs.

I like it!:eek: :cool:

My boot time has been increased by 6 to 7 secs. Though I don't feel it's a biggy seeing how it booted to the login screen in 27secs before. This is on a Dual Ghz/DDR by the way.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by Arcady

My Sonnet ATA/100 card works fine in 10.2.1 (and it worked fine in 10.2) so I'm wondering if there are different versions of the card or something. I can boot from the card or from a drive on the built-in bus and the drives on the card work great either way. I tried out the card in both a 9600 with a G4 upgrade and a beige G3 with a G3 upgrade.

Yup, apparently the only ones affected are the Promise-chip based ones. See this XLR8yourmac article for more info:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/OSX/sonnet_ide_cards_and_10_2.html#storytop

I can live without the card (just use my internal ATA/33 bus) but it would be really nice to finally experience ATA/100 performance. That and I've maxed out my RAM at 1GB, maxed out my graphics card with a PCI Radeon 7000, and just overclocked my G4 from 400 to 450, so this is like the last thing I'm waiting on.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
wake up

my powerbook wakes up almost instantly
from sleep since x.2.1 :p

strange though, since the jaguar update
when i launch an application i get a lot of
"application unexpectedly quit" errors before
the application even gets a chance to launch.
has anyone else had this problem?

magic

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2002
Non-Working Epson/HP

Hello! :)

This is my first meager little post here, but I wanted to add to the discussion and offer a suggestion on the Epson/HP print drivers issue...

Especially for Monkeybusiness' Epson problem, you might look into Gimp-Print. I have heard lots of comments online and in the real world that it has filled the gap for a lot of people who are waiting on 'official' drivers--especially from Epson.

Apparently, it now also has an easy-to-use Aqua installer...
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

(Sorry if you've already tried this -- YMMV, I haven't had any problems using my Epson without updated drivers of any sort, so I can't speak with authority.)

--magic :D

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Re: Re: One Question for anyone who knows...

Originally posted by G4scott

Eventually, the 10.2 you buy at retail stores, and the 10.2 that comes pre-loaded on computers will become 10.2.1, but that's just a matter of time. Apple doesn't release updates like this on CD's.

I can d/l the image, and burn it on a disk for you. It depends on how far I have to ship it. You're from central Texas, and I'm in McAllen so it wouldn't cost much... I forget postage rates these days... How much does it cost to send something within the state? is it still thirty-something cents? If so, I'd be willing to send it to you. Just give me a PM.

That is extremely nice of you to offer that but I don't need you to go through the trouble. I can download it just fine if I had Jaguar. Its nice to know there are nice people still around though.:)

I just wanted to know if when I do go out and buy Jaguar if I could get the one with all the updates to it. Remember, if you had 10 and wanted to get to 10.1.5 you had to do a ton of downloads. I want to avoid that hassle this time.

Apple][Forever

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2002
Re: wake up

Originally posted by beatle888
my powerbook wakes up almost instantly
from sleep since x.2.1 :p

strange though, since the jaguar update
when i launch an application i get a lot of
"application unexpectedly quit" errors before
the application even gets a chance to launch.
has anyone else had this problem?

somewhere on this site I read the answer to this... boot from the 10.2 CD and then select Disk Utility from the Installer menu when it asks you what language. Run the repair permissions utility from there. Forget who it was on here, but they had done a 10.2 upgrade and fixed the same problem with that.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Re: Re: Re: One Question for anyone who knows...

Originally posted by reyesmac

That is extremely nice of you to offer that but I don't need you to go through the trouble. I can download it just fine if I had Jaguar. Its nice to know there are nice people still around though.:)

I just wanted to know if when I do go out and buy Jaguar if I could get the one with all the updates to it. Remember, if you had 10 and wanted to get to 10.1.5 you had to do a ton of downloads. I want to avoid that hassle this time.

All new Macs in about a month will have 10.2.1. Just keep checking the boxes at your retail store, and somewhere on them, it should say the exact version. When going from 10.0.x to 10.1, you have to have the CD, and to go from 10.0.x or 10.1.x to 10.2, you also have to have a CD. The only updates available online (legally...) are what I'd call the third level updates.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Re: 10.2.1 USB Mouse

Originally posted by drone139
I have a MacAlly mouse for my PB and the option to disable the track pad when a mouse is detected now works!
This is a nice feature and it never worked before.

Worked on my powerbook with My MacAlly mouse with my original jaguar install.

a_kim

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2002
DC
my second kernel panic since jaguar

Sadly, as I woke my powerbook from sleep about ten minutes ago, I found the kernel panic dialogue box on my screen. My second kernel panic since upgrading to Jaguar. The first one occurred when I was doing something with VPN, and that hasn't happened again after many times using VPN since then.

Anyone else have a kernel panic after waking a powerbook from sleep? I didn't do anything out of the ordinary that I can think of. Hopefully it was just fluke.

-Alex

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
Updated last nite when I got home from work. It was a bumpy ride at first, lost Jag, restarted, found it, updated, lost internet access, restarted, yada-yada.
All seems smooth now, noticeably Snappier™. Ooooh and "Character Palette" kicks both "Keycaps" and anything I've seen from Redmond for character management. Off to work to see if Windoze networking got a boost on my iBook.

DP550 Mystic/1GB/RadeonAGP/OrionPCI/Epson1280/QwestADSL etc.
iBook600 Combo/640MB/AirPort

Zack

SkipNewarkDE

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2002
Newark, Delaware
Fixed the PC compatible Disk Burning Issue!

Ah, good! CD burning now produces CD's which Windows will correctly read. There was a problem before in that the CD's produced could not be navigated past the root level. Clicking on subdirectories would give a message that the item was unavailable.

Anyway, this is fixed, oh boy!

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Re: Re: wake up

Originally posted by Apple][Forever

somewhere on this site I read the answer to this... boot from the 10.2 CD and then select Disk Utility from the Installer menu when it asks you what language. Run the repair permissions utility from there. Forget who it was on here, but they had done a 10.2 upgrade and fixed the same problem with that.

In 10.2 you should be able to repair permissions without booting from the CD. Launch disk utility, select the hard drive, then select whatever partition your OS is on then click repair permissions. This can take a while. Sometimes 15-20 mins or so...

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
updating my machines went well, until i did my Ti Book 500, on restart it spent AGES on a blank BLUE SCREEN!

I thought I'd perhaps installed SP1 or something.......

oh, and then everything was fine... thanks!

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: wake up

Originally posted by Thirteenva

In 10.2 you should be able to repair permissions without booting from the CD. Launch disk utility, select the hard drive, then select whatever partition your OS is on then click repair permissions. This can take a while. Sometimes 15-20 mins or so...

You can not repair all permissions properly without starting up off the the CD.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Re: Re: wake up

Originally posted by Apple][Forever

:p thanks Apple][Forever

AngusB

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2002
Washington DC
Still no ISub support

I know I sound like a broken record...but is it too much trouble for Apple to fix the ISub issues on 10.2! There I was, all excited, 10.2.1 and a ITunes update, and then my sub still sounded like it was playing through a wall.

Sound discriminator software is not supposed to be that difficult! Does anybody else suffer from this problem! I finally got my hands on a TI 500 so I am going to test all of the speakers on that tonight, but I am pretty sure that Apple just screwed the pooch on this again.

Does Apple just not like Harmon-Karden...is the ISub name offensive...why do they sell it in the Apple stores!!!! Even the Apple store employees who I demonstrated the problem too seemed unaware! Please Apple, bring my "neighbor-annoying, Eminem pumping, housequaking, dog scaring bass back!

OK...a little bit of a rant...sorry

AngusB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.