Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KítscheñÇinqµe

macrumors regular
Original poster
08/16/2008
the latest futzing: PPPoE shares a little further than tcp/ip, but g3 still not seeing shares...
googling, not finding anything particular..
went into mac's First aid, repair permissions. it shows kind of a log window (hope it saved into a.log file somewhere)...
restart Mac.
same problem... not connecting.
network prefs. turned on ftp, etc (except another that won't "stick" on). Then, tried something new: enabled PPP/PPPoE
finder: go>server... (it searches). interesting that it now finds two in the win workgroup, and auto-types the smb://WinComputerName/ {correction. no autotyping. those were unc I had added as favorites. so these are bahaving the same as in tcp/ip (error -36). so, the only PPPoE vs tcp/ip difference is that the local mac user is found when PPP is searching for servers.}
.. i choose one, but connect FAILs, error gives the rather familiar error -36

_______________older:
08/11/2008 Was hoping no need to post.
Jaguar 10.2.8. G3 B&W with correct firmware.
I've tried various things in book, and via google. Most are in Network Utility, and in prefs Network & Sharing.

I've just now tried edits, and found something "fishy". Sharing prefs will not accept typed edit if Rendezvous Name or of Computer Name.
Windows File Sharing checkmark initially appears to stick (button toggles to "stop"). But move cursor to another service, then back. Now Windows File Sharing is off.
________
Bonus question: what is "bmac"? it shows in net util (where this says "gmac+"): http://guides.macrumors.com/images/e/e6/NetworkUtility_10_4_2_HowtoIP2.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.