Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

advres

Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Boston
Hey all,

My room mate bought an iMac G5 1.6 second hand but never got the restore dvd. I bought a 10.3.0 install disk for my old G4 tower and I was wondering if I could just use that to help her out.

I looked at the specs for that machine on Apples website and it said they came with 10.3.5 installed. I don't know if it would harm a machine to completely wipe it and just install an older version of the OS then was intended for that machine.

Would anyone know if their was anything specific to later builds that this machine required that I would only find on that restore disk? Would it be ok to just reinstall the OS using my disk and just do the updates up to 10.3.8? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
I'm thinking that there might be special drivers in 10.3.5 or later to add support for the imac g5. Personally I would just give it a try, I wouldn't think that it would be a problem, but just don't blame me if it frys your friends imac. :D

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Laslo Panaflex said:
I'm thinking that there might be special drivers in 10.3.5 or later to add support for the imac g5. Personally I would just give it a try, I wouldn't think that it would be a problem, but just don't blame me if it frys your friends imac. :D

It won't fry it, but it won't install either. if you have a spare FW (FireWire) drive try this:
Connect the FW drive to the G4, format it and install 10.3.0 on it then update it to 10.3.8 with the universal updater. Boot from it to verify that it will boot the G4 as 10.3.8. DO NOT run software update.

Get Carbon Copy Cloner and install it on the FireWire drive. Shutdown.
Connect the FW drive to the iMac and see it boots from it. It it does, use CCC to clone the drive to the iMac then boot the iMac from its drive.
Run Software Update.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Call Apple, they'll probably send a replacement restore DVD for the iMac G5 for something like $19.95

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
pncc said:
It won't fry it, but it won't install either. if you have a spare FW (FireWire) drive try this:
Connect the FW drive to the G4, format it and install 10.3.0 on it then update it to 10.3.8 with the universal updater. Boot from it to verify that it will boot the G4 as 10.3.8. DO NOT run software update.

Get Carbon Copy Cloner and install it on the FireWire drive. Shutdown.
Connect the FW drive to the iMac and see it boots from it. It it does, use CCC to clone the drive to the iMac then boot the iMac from its drive.
Run Software Update.

Yep.

You can also startup the iMac in FireWire Tarrget Disk Mode. (boot with the letter "T" pressed. The screen should become blue with an orange FireWire logo jumping around).
Attach the iMac to the G4 via a FireWire cable, and the iMac should mount on the desktop of the G4 just like anyother FireWire drive would.
Install Mac OS X 10.3.0 (from your CD) on the iMac drive. (you can either do this by booting the G4 from the CD, or opening on the CD <sometimes you need to close and open the CD> : System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg and install from there).

Just make sure you select the iMac's drive ;)

Then don't forget to run the 10.3.8. updater!

... could be that yellow is correct... Don't want to encourage pracy here

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
advres said:
Hey all,

My room mate bought an iMac G5 1.6 second hand but never got the restore dvd. I bought a 10.3.0 install disk for my old G4 tower and I was wondering if I could just use that to help her out.

Thanks!

Contact the person/organization that she bought it from and request the software restore CD (it's part of the original machine, she bought it, should get it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.