Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
On both of my mac's I'm having an assortment of problems with 10.3.7. Problems, I haven't had before. Yes, I have fixed permissions, etc., etc., yadda-yadda and all that. This is the very last time that I ever upgrade both at the same time (something I have never done before) - puts me out of work.

On one machine my fonts are messed up and after extensive attempts to sort out the duplicate fonts it's still not being resolved. Of course, this wreaks havoc on everything else as well...

On another machine...iTunes is now unusable. Intermittent freezes, hanging the system up...sheesh...

Yeah, sure...I've been reading support files all over the place and nothing is working. I don't like the prospect of reinstalling the OS...

Anybody else having similar problems?

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Do you have Office 2004 installed? This brings huge font problems, so this might not have anything to do with 10.3.7. Just an idea.
Don’t know about thie iTunes thing, though.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I have problems with Mail after updating but everything else seems fine. It is a pain in the rear though. Mail icon bounces for ages in the dock before opening. Curiously enough though it opens first time on our network at work.

jvaska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2002
Ok, the iTunes problems was not an iTunes problem. For whatever reason, my extra internal HD had a loose connection. I moved it around to another set of wires and it's perfectly ok. Problem solved.

As far as the fonts issue - I still have the problem but I went in (again) and reworked everything taking it down to bare bones. Then, instead of trying to manage fonts for all accounts (using FontBook) I now manage them by individual accounts. Meaning, I can simply drag and drop fonts to my user font folder just so I can 100% know what should be happening.

Agh...these problems have been nagging for a couple weeks now but it seems I've turned the corner.

The Mail issue does sound like it could be a font issue as well. At the height of this problem Mail and Safari would not even launch (duplicate fonts). Plus, when I was logging in I wasn't getting a complete login. Which also meant that when I went to logout there were other problems (like the OS logging out to the unix prompt or even simply shutting down on me).

Anyways, at least I can use Trade Gothic again and for now that's all that really matters. ;)

Good luck all...v

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.