Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I am helping a friend with their computer however it is rather a tricky issue.

They have an old iBook G4 running 10.3.9. The wireless card is working as I can create an ad-hoc network which I can connect to however it can not connect to other networks or even see them. With my macbook next to it I can see about 7 different networks.

I have tried reseting pram, repairing permissions, deleting the systemconfiguration folder, a different account, reapplied 10.3.9 update, tried a different airport extreme card, turned off IPV6 and gave the computer a name, removed norton, tried manual DCHP settings, automatic, adding a preferred network, removing any wireless security, putting the network on b only and then g only.

In doing all of this I managed to get it to join the network briefly for about five minutes in which time the connection flicked between full signal and the last dot.

If the network does appear I try to connect to it and it says there is an error.

I have run out of ideas of what to do with the machine. There is one thing I am not sure about but the only account says that it is admin, mobile. I think this is a throw back to when it was used as a company computer. I don't think this would have an effect as it was on the network before.

I don't think it is a hardware issue as the computer can create a network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.