Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I installed the update on this early this morning around 8am at full charge at 100% The battery is just draining! 49% at 3:40pm..and I haven't even worked with this iPad today,

Right now, the battery life is nothing even close to what I have at this time 24 hours ago, the past few months. I'd still have maybe 75-80% by 4pm!

Hoping this is an index issue!

Reactions: 44267547

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I installed the update on this early this morning around 8am at full charge at 100% The battery is just draining! 49% at 3:40pm..and I haven't even worked with this iPad today,

Right now, the battery life is nothing even close to what I have at this time 24 hours ago, the past few months. I'd still have maybe 75-80% by 4pm!

What's the usage time like compared to standby time?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I would also try a hard reset if you have not after the initial install of 10.3. Sometimes there's just glitches that perhaps are causing something relating to the battery drain.

Also, you can monitor your battery statistics determine if there's anything potentially contributing to the drain.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I'll try the hard reset.
Right now the Battery usage only shows "Last 24 hours" and thats Home and Lock screen - 100%, 6.2 hours. "Last 7 days" just has stunk loading text. Odd.
[doublepost=1490733407][/doublepost]
I'll try the hard reset.
Right now the Battery usage only shows "Last 24 hours" and thats Home and Lock screen - 100%, 6.2 hours. "Last 7 days" just has stunk loading text. Odd.

Update - Did the hard reset, the 71% battery immediately jumped to 84%. Who knows? I'll keep my eye on it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'll try the hard reset.
[doublepost=1490733407][/doublepost]

Update - Did the hard reset, the 71% battery immediately jumped to 84%. Who knows? I'll keep my eye on it.

Good to hear. After any initial update with my Apple devices, I typically do a hard reset or shut down to clear any issues that may arise. Another forum member recommended that to and it always seems to work in my situation.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
What's the usage time like compared to standby time?
Ugh, should have grabbed a screenshot of that yesterday. Right now it's even at 2hr, 20 minutes - both usage and standby ("Time since last full charge") 90% Home/Lock screen, 5% Settings, 2% Safari, 3% Email.

Sidenote..I kind of wish there was an update on the darn Pencil. That has the most erratic battery life I've ever seen! I'll charge that to 100%, let it sit and maybe in 2 hours it will to 40-45%. Some days it may only drop down to 85% This is my 2nd Pencil, I had it replaced months ago since that battery would drain to 10% 5% in a matter of 3 hours without using it. Unpairing and paring doesn't solve this issue.

I did a hard reset on all devices, phone, iPad, 2 watches. Seems to be a little better right now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ugh, should have grabbed a screenshot of that yesterday. Right now it's even at 2hr, 20 minutes - both usage and standby ("Time since last full charge") 90% Home/Lock screen, 5% Settings, 2% Safari, 3% Email.

Sidenote..I kind of wish there was an update on the darn Pencil. That has the most erratic battery life I've ever seen! I'll charge that to 100%, let it sit and maybe in 2 hours it will to 40-45%. Some days it may only drop down to 85% This is my 2nd Pencil, I had it replaced months ago since that battery would drain to 10% 5% in a matter of 3 hours without using it. Unpairing and paring doesn't solve this issue.

I did a hard reset on all devices, phone, iPad, 2 watches. Seems to be a little better right now.
Were you using the device basically continuously since it got unplugged? Usually exact same time for usage and standby means that there's likely something stuck running in the background using up resources.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012

Yeah, I can tell you my battery life was hot garbage Monday and Tuesday. That said, after having charged overnight, Wednesday's battery life has been AMAZING. What's funny is all day Monday and some of Tuesday, it kept freeing up space. I don't know if it was compressing things, cleaning things up, etc, but I now have a whopping 8-9 more gigs than I had on 10.2.1. Pretty happy with this update!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.