Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkandell

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Tucson AZ
I know that many folks say to run the unix daily, weekly, monthly maintenance routines if your mac is sleeping or off at night. Is this still necessary with 10.4.3?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
You can always set them to run at times when you know that your Mac will be on, but they can slow down your computer. There are programs available on Versiontracker that will help you set up Chron.

CalGrunt

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2005
jkandell said:
I know that many folks say to run the unix daily, weekly, monthly maintenance routines if your mac is sleeping or off at night. Is this still necessary with 10.4.3?

No, it is NOT necessary with 10.4.3. They are no longer being run late at night as cron scripts because that are now being handled by launchd, which will run anytime you wake up our computer, even during the middle of the day.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
CalGrunt said:
No, it is NOT necessary with 10.4.3. They are no longer being run late at night as cron scripts because that are now being handled by launchd, which will run anytime you wake up our computer, even during the middle of the day.

I don't beleive this is true unless you did a clean install of Tiger. If you Upgraded from previous versions of OS X, you're still using cron.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
CalGrunt said:
Correct. It is necessary for them to run, you just don't have to run them your self. They are still scheduled for early morning, but launchd will run them later if you computer is not on.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
yellow said:
I don't beleive this is true unless you did a clean install of Tiger. If you Upgraded from previous versions of OS X, you're still using cron.
Cron is there regardless. It just doesn't handle any scripts unless you install some yourself. I don't think it matter if you update or fresh install. Either way the system files are being overwritten.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
grapes911 said:
Correct. It is necessary for them to run, you just don't have to run them your self. They are still scheduled for early morning, but launchd will run them later if you computer is not on.

This is only true if your computer has been sleeping. If you have turned it off they will not run until the next 4am - 4.30am time slot.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
With all this debate about maintenance, cron versus launchd, etc I think the time has come for me to just install Anacron for Tiger again on my 3 Macs here, and even if they don't need it at least I can forget about it. ;)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I started running my Mac 24/7 so this isn't an issue for me...

...but could somebody explain to a linux n00b just what the difference is between the two methods?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
risc said:
With all this debate about maintenance, cron versus launchd, etc I think the time has come for me to just install Anacron for Tiger again on my 3 Macs here, and even if they don't need it at least I can forget about it. ;)
Anacron forces cron stript so run when they missed their scheduled time. I don't think they will touch launchd scripts.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Bern said:
This is only true if your computer has been sleeping. If you have turned it off they will not run until the next 4am - 4.30am time slot.
So THAT'S why it's irregular on my Mac; I could never figure out why (on a clean Tiger install) it would sometimes run when I turned the computer on, and other times didn't seem to. Because sometimes I was turning it on, and sometimes just waking up.

Still a tad frustrating, as it aught to deal with sleep properly (though that was never a consideration back in the unix days, launchd should be able to deal with this), but at least it makes sense now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.