Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkanowitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
We have a school classroom with 35 iMac clients (running 10.5) and one 10.4 server (Mac Pro Box). The school has an external network (Novell/Windows based) that provides internet access. The classroom OSX Server has 2 NICs. One is connected to the school network (for WAN internet access) and the other is connected to the WAN port of an AirPort extreme.

Our goal is to connect the clients wirelessly to the AirPort and thus the server, retrieve an IP address from the DHCP server on the 10.4 box, and essentially use it as a router/gateway to the school's WAN. I also eventually wish to enable the clients to login to the 10.4 Mac Pro server using Open Directory (which we have already accomplished over a wired setting without using NAT or DHCP).

So far, the only objective we have accomplished is that the client can connect to the AirPort and retrieve an IP address from the DHCP server on the 10.4 Box.

Now the issue is that the client does not have internet access. I am pretty sure that it is a DNS issue. I don't have a DNS server running internally on the Mac LAN, but I would like to utilize the external DNS servers that the school provides. Since the networks are now separated, I'm basically looking for a way to forward the external DNS server's IP addresses to the internal LAN or configure a new internal DNS server that still utilizes the school's DNS servers.

Thanks in advance. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.