Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
I Found my problem with my earlier post 10.6 let me have 2 monitors set to mirror the way i wanted. then when i went to 10.6.4 it added a 3rd which has a max resolution of only 1024 x 768 how do i get rid of that 3rd monitor so i can again have my monitors set the way i want them and the 3rd monitor is called vga display no clue why

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
i don't see how an OS upgrade would just add a third display. are you sure you didn't install any third-party extension or run some app that might have messed with the system extensions or libraries?

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
well thats what i thought so i reinstalled the os back to the way when i got the mini and used app cleaner to get rid of team viewer and idisplay after i restored my time machine back up as 10.6 with the time machine backup installed did not have the 3rd display plus those apps were installed on 10.6 so no 3rd display and let the update manager reinstall 10.6.4 and when it got done installing it and rebooted the 3rd display was back. as of right now i only have handbrake, vlc, appcleaner, onyx, pspvideo 9, and virtual box, and openoffice and nero office installed, along with wine

ps could wine cause this as i went to apple and people are having screen and moniter issues with 10.6.4

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
the problem is most likely coming back after restoring from time machine. it could just become "active" upon applying the 10.6.4 update and rebooting.

i would take a look in:
/Library/LaunchAgents
/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/StartupItems
/System/Library/Extensions
/System/Library/LaunchAgents
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons
~/Library/LaunchAgents

look for files added or modified recently.

also open up console.app and search for team viewer or idisplay to see if they're loading something during bootup.

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
did you run the uninstall script that was included with idisplay? i just downloaded and took a look in the dmg and noticed it.

the iDisplay.pkg installs 2 kernel extensions:
/System/Library/Extensions/MSMFramebuffer.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/MSMVideoDevice.kext

and a graphics filter:
/Library/Graphics/Image Units/MSMDiffFilter.plugin

apps like appcleaner may not be able to find files like these. delete these files if they exist and reboot.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
ok i will try that thanks and i think your right as with virtual box i noticed if i reinstalled it my windows xp install would still be there so it was not getting rid of that with appcleaner

those first two were in my mac system folder and the 3rd one the graphics does not show up so app cleaner may have got it

those first 2 kexts were the problem thank you thank you i am back to 2 displays i will never run that program again ug i do have a nice program called tv row that will let me run front row on my hd tv as its not my main moniter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.