Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Been going around on this for a couple hours. Downloaded version 1.0.5 for 99¢ from Apple on my 17" MBP that is 10.6.8.

I can sign in to the App store. But I cannot sign in to Facetime. Keeps giving me an error in processing to the server no matter what credentials I use.

I've made sure that my clock is set to automatic. I can find no certificate that is named anything like what multiple support pages say. I have edited my hosts file slightly.

Is this a red herring? Does Apple sell this but not allow Snow Leopard to use Facetime? I'd rather know that now than keep trying to get this to work.

Anyone got any ideas?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
It use to work less than a year a go, but mine no longer works on 10.6 & 10.7, so you aren't alone. I got my .99 cents worth for the last few years, so i can't complain really. Wish it still worked however.

Cheers

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The API FaceTime uses changed since 10.6.8, so older FaceTime can't connect any more. Neither can an iPhone 4 running older iOSes.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
If an app is not compatible with a version of the OS then Apple doesn’t generally let you download it.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
It may not be the case and I’m not sure if it still works, but to connect some older devices/apps to an Apple ID using 2 step or 2 factor authentication, you would try appending the unique 6 digit code to the end of your password.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobesch

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
It use to work less than a year a go, but mine no longer works on 10.6 & 10.7, so you aren't alone. I got my .99 cents worth for the last few years, so i can't complain really. Wish it still worked however.

Cheers
The API FaceTime uses changed since 10.6.8, so older FaceTime can't connect any more. Neither can an iPhone 4 running older iOSes.
Thanks guys. I can stop going down this rabbit hole that leads nowhere then. Appreciate it.
[automerge]1574167088[/automerge]
Did you try the option of an app-specific password, when you try to log into your account within FaceTime?
I actually made a new Apple ID with 2FA left off. I'd try turning it on and giving it an app-specific password but based on the above I doubt it will work.
[automerge]1574167137[/automerge]
If an app is not compatible with a version of the OS then Apple doesn’t generally let you download it.
I was able to download it after paying 99¢. It just does not connect.
[automerge]1574167177[/automerge]
It may not be the case and I’m not sure if it still works, but to connect some older devices/apps to an Apple ID using 2 step or 2 factor authentication, you would try appending the unique 6 digit code to the end of your password.
Yeah, it just isn't able to login and then trigger the system to give me a code.
[automerge]1574167217[/automerge]
FaceTime has never worked for me in 10.6.8, from when it first came to the App Store.

Cheers :)

Hugh
Thanks! Apple got a free dollar from me, LOL. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Hughmac and wicknix

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
In principle, you should get that dollar back. As is the case many a time, Apple sold you (and continue to sell) something they know does not work, in this instance with 10.6.

On the flipside, if they did not know FaceTime for 10.6 has problems, then people need to start demanding their money back, because as a result, they'll be forced to take a second look at what might be so wrong with their app, and hopefully either fix it or pull it from availability.

Reactions: eyoungren

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
In principle, you should get that dollar back. As is the case many a time, Apple sold you (and continue to sell) something they know does not work, in this instance with 10.6.

On the flipside, if they did not know FaceTime for 10.6 has problems, then people need to start demanding their money back, because as a result, they'll be forced to take a second look at what might be so wrong with their app, and hopefully either fix it or pull it from availability.

Or they'll do something stupid like cut off Snow Leopard access to the App Store.

If eyoungren actually wanted their dollar back I'd say go for it, but I don't think they should feel obligated to make a point either. That could go either way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.