Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
Right now on Snow Leopard (yes, some of us still use it) there is one viable web browser- Arctic-Fox https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/wiki and YouTube is now starting to warn people using it that it'll soon no longer be supported.

Now, I don't know about you all but losing YouTube really is a major loss and unless Arctic is updated for support (prob won't be at this point due to antiquated code) Snow Leopard will no longer be a suitable daily driver and move into the "Obsolete" category.

I myself don't quite know what I'm going to do, I'm using a 2010 iMac and so I'm limited to upgrading up to High Sierra which bricked another of my iMacs resulting in me going back to Snow Leopard in the first place.

Ugh... ranting over, I needed to vent my frustration on this and wanted anybody else who is still using Snow Leopard's opinion on this browser situation.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
If it makes you feel better I have a late 2009 running High Sierra working just fine. I’d say backup and try the jump.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
I got in touch with the maker of Arctic Fox and it looks like its a problem with Google themselves They're removing the legacy version of the YouTube UI which is causing the warning.

In his next release of the browser he's gonna make it so we use the modern YouTube interface (unfortunately)

• Love
Reactions: loby

teknobeam

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2020
I got in touch with the maker of Arctic Fox and it looks like its a problem with Google themselves They're removing the legacy version of the YouTube UI which is causing the warning.

In his next release of the browser he's gonna make it so we use the modern YouTube interface (unfortunately)
I just installed the latest version of Arctic Fox on my newly upgraded mac mini 2,1 and it runs you tube without any issues. I did also upgrade to 4 gig of ram so that probably helps. I was going to move it up to Mountain Lion but on further reading, most people recommend staying with Snow Leopard. It's one great little machine. That Arctic Fox browser is really good.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Right now on Snow Leopard (yes, some of us still use it) there is one viable web browser- Arctic-Fox https://github.com/wicknix/Arctic-Fox/wiki and YouTube is now starting to warn people using it that it'll soon no longer be supported.

Now, I don't know about you all but losing YouTube really is a major loss and unless Arctic is updated for support (prob won't be at this point due to antiquated code) Snow Leopard will no longer be a suitable daily driver and move into the "Obsolete" category.

I myself don't quite know what I'm going to do, I'm using a 2010 iMac and so I'm limited to upgrading up to High Sierra which bricked another of my iMacs resulting in me going back to Snow Leopard in the first place.

Ugh... ranting over, I needed to vent my frustration on this and wanted anybody else who is still using Snow Leopard's opinion on this browser situation.

From chatting with some other people; It seems the InterWeb browser and SpiderWeb browser are pretty great too!! I was messing around on Lion with InterWeb and it seems like a good alternative.

mac0SCr3ator

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2020
Actually there is a browser called "Firefox Legacy" which is a port of Firefox 52 for Snow Leopard. I'll leave a link here. Hopefully this can run the new YouTube UI
This will work on Snow Leopard (I have the Lion version and it's working but I don't have a way to test the Snow Leopard version.)
Also this browser is an actual port of the browser. Arctic Fox was a fork of Pale Moon what was a fork of Firefox.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Actually there is a browser called "Firefox Legacy" which is a port of Firefox 52 for Snow Leopard. I'll leave a link here. Hopefully this can run the new YouTube UI
This will work on Snow Leopard (I have the Lion version and it's working but I don't have a way to test the Snow Leopard version.)
Also this browser is an actual port of the browser. Arctic Fox was a fork of Pale Moon what was a fork of Firefox.

Oh!! This is awesome! Thank you! Will have to try it out!!!!

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
Tying out Nightly and it's pretty darn good on Snow Leopard. As much as I loved ArcticFox it was lagging badly when it came to things like YouTube and Facebook.

Only complaints about Nightly are purely aesthetic- as well as not being able to center the bookmarks bar with "Flexible Space"

Left is Nightly, Right is ArcticFox. I've done a lot of customization to ArcticFox to make it look like Safari used to circa 2010 but it doesn't look like I'll be able to pull it off with Nightly :/

Attachments

• browsers.jpg
    browsers.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 725
Last edited:

BurntSourdough

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2020
It appears Firefox Legacy AKA Nightly uses Firefox's profile. If one were to desire an uninstall will that inadvertently cause damage to Firefox? Do they keep security updates is all they focus on or what? Are we sure this is a browser not injected with something malicious? I am not familiar with the site the download is at and am not sure where the source code is posted. Though I don't do programming so most I can do is just read what others say.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
You can always compile your own Intel TenFourFox:

But if you just want to try an already built version:

Also, I just wanted to point out that this thread is in the Lion forum.

Last edited:

mac0SCr3ator

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2020
It appears Firefox Legacy AKA Nightly uses Firefox's profile. If one were to desire an uninstall will that inadvertently cause damage to Firefox? Do they keep security updates is all they focus on or what? Are we sure this is a browser not injected with something malicious? I am not familiar with the site the download is at and am not sure where the source code is posted. Though I don't do programming so most I can do is just read what others say.
Well since I just upgraded from Lion to Yosemite I don't need this browser anymore but if you have questions feel free to ask. Also since I was Lion user (due to restrictions of MacBook 4.1 hardware) I didn't adapt the name Nightly well (because only Snow Leopard version was named Nightly)

phenomXT

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2020

You're not the only one, I downgraded my mid-2012 MacBook Pro to good ol' Mountain Lion for some of that skeuomorphic beauty. I also have a 16" MBP but god that Snow Leopard-Mountain Lion UI...

Correct me if I'm mistaken but doesn't Pale Moon work like butter on Snow Leopard? I myself use it on Mountain Lion.
If not Pale Moon, there is always TenFourFox...

Also, you don't ever have to worry about YouTube dropping support. There is this website called Invidious that aims to bring YouTube to older iOS devices and Mac OS X versions (anything from iOS 3 and above, and anything from Leopard and above)
Try it out, it should work!

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Pale Moon hasn't supported 10.6 since mid 2018 with the last release being 27.9.4. v28 only supports 10.7 and higher. Arctic Fox picked up where PM left off with v27 to continue snow leopard support. However 2 years have passed, and a few more browsers have surfaced for 10.6 since then.

Cheers

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
How did High Sierra brick the iMac? Is it completely dead? Which iMac?

Cuz IMO High Sierra is a huge jump over Snow Leopard. Main problem is it is also slower and more RAM hungry, and slowdowns on a spinning hard drive are more obvious. That machine with 8 GB RAM and SSD would do very well though.

I'd rather deal with the slowdowns related to newer versions of macOS than deal with all the browser limitations of Snow Leopard. Even 10.10 Yosemite is a huge jump forward over Snow Leopard. However, High Sierra adds both HEIC support and AFPS support.

Last edited:

4am

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2020
I joined the forum just to thank you for letting me discover Nightly for OS 10.6.8. You really helped me. I couldn't use Youtube Studio anymore and it was a problem for me (I have a Youtube channel). Thank you all.

Reactions: SithMoggie

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Is nightly still beginning updated, or did it stop in 2018? If so, does anyone know which browsers besides Arctic Fox is still being updated for Snow Leopard? The only one that I know that continues to receive at least some security updates is Arctic Fox.

?

Thanks!

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Is nightly still beginning updated, or did it stop in 2018? If so, does anyone know which browsers besides Arctic Fox is still being updated for Snow Leopard? The only one that I know that continues to receive at least some security updates is Arctic Fox.

?

Thanks!
Nightly is most likely available as-is, the developer said newer versions cannot be ported due to limitations in the OS. Someone else may succeed but it probably won't be Nightly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.