Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n0d3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
Seeing how Apple is porting over iOS-inspired features such as Mission Control/Launch Pad, do you think 10.7 will be overly reliant on having a gesture input device to perform swipes etc?

Just take a look at the 2nd video here:

http://gizmodo.com/5668805/mac-os-x-lion-the-best-features

His fingers are either spasming because he's nervous and/or the Magic Mouse is a PITA to use (and you can see how he's having a tad bit of difficulty too). Even if a user were to purchase a Magic Trackpad instead of a Magic Mouse, don't you think having to move one hand off one of your 2 traditional input devices (keyboard + mouse) is a bit tedious JUST to swipe/perform some gesture thingy (side swiping in Launch Pad).

I just hope they allow these actions to be performed by users who don't want to buy gesture capable input devices either through hot/combo keys or simply by click/dragging.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
TBH, I think the Magic Mouse is underwhelming, BUT the Magic Trackpad is *extremely* magic. It was idiotic from Apple not to showcase it during the Back To The Mac event. Plus the guy who presented was nervous and shaking.
Gestures are awesome.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
You can also assign tasks to keyboard shortcuts. I can't see Apple removing that feature.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
All gestures can be assigned to KB shortcuts or extra buttons on mice. Thats how its always been and nothing will change that anytime soon.

n0d3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
You can also assign tasks to keyboard shortcuts. I can't see Apple removing that feature.

All gestures can be assigned to KB shortcuts or extra buttons on mice. Thats how its always been and nothing will change that anytime soon.

Yup, I'm aware of that. Currently have Show Desktop/Expose tied to the side buttons on my Razer mouse.

I'm just concerned if other actions that come with Launch Pad/Mission Control will be gesture specific without having the ability to assign a hard shortcut to it. Hopefully Apple won't make it so.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I'm just concerned if other actions that come with Launch Pad/Mission Control will be gesture specific without having the ability to assign a hard shortcut to it. Hopefully Apple won't make it so.

Not going to happen. People do use standard usb mice you know, and Apple know it. Apple will be pissing off a lot of people if you have to buy an Apple mouse to function the OS.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Not going to happen. People do use standard usb mice you know, and Apple know it. Apple will be pissing off a lot of people if you have to buy an Apple mouse to function the OS.

Plus users with disabilities often don't get on with gestures.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
I didn't notice any spasming

I find 2 finger swipes on my magic mouse to be very easy and convenient.

and its not going to be reliant on gestures, they'll be optional, i can *almost* guarantee it

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Yes, I didn't like this because a mouse without real buttons is a failure.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
The Magic Mouse is one of my favorite mouses. I just bought the Magic Trackpad and that's one of my favorites as well.

To be honest I think the reason why he was having trouble is because it hasn't been fine tuned. Remember Lion isn't supposed to come out until Summer 2011, and that probably means September.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
The Magic Mouse just doesn't feel as natural as the trackpad does. It's a step in the right direction, but Apple still needs to find something that truly combines the ease of pointing that a mouse offers, and the multi-touch gestures that makes using a Mac lightyears easier and speedier than a PC.

As for Lion, I'm thrilled that Apple is expanding on gestures.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Your hands would be shaking much more if it was you. He was clearly nervous.

Some musicians take beta blockers to play. If you have to do an important presentation for many people it is recommended.

About gestures, I think it's great. I loved the way to change fullscreen apps. If you compare the time it needs to make a swipe vs exposé + finding the window, it's more productive.

GreatDanton

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
The magic mouse is awesome, but I have to admit, I don't use swiping (gestures) as the mouse is just to small for it, you tend to find you've accidentally flicked your mouse across the table and off the desk or like the guy demoing Lion, having to take your left hand and physically hold the mouse in place while you perform your swipe.

For a flawless experience using the magic mouse install 'magic prefs' and set your app switching, expose and spaces etc. to clicks (multitouch clicks). Be sure to raise the 'trackable area' up as high as you can to avoid your pam counting as a finger on the touch face. The below setting are literally flawless for me, no dud attempts at Expose and Spaces etc.

upshotxolccmvw.png

harry20larry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
I think the lack of accurate gestures was down to how nervous he was.
I have magic prefs installed.
3 finger swipe down and down work really well.
And of course all the preloaded gestures aswell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.