Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Just tried to game on my Macbook for the first time in a while, and performance is terrible. I used to get 60+ FPS in Source games, and I now get 25-35. Starcraft 2 was unplayable at 8 FPS. Others on the Steam forums are reporting the same, anyone else getting this problem?

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
I haven't seen such an impact on my performance. However, I can tell you that I lost around 3000 in my geekbench score when going from Lion to Mountain Lion.
Did some research and it seems this is happening to everyone.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I haven't seen such an impact on my performance. However, I can tell you that I lost around 3000 in my geekbench score when going from Lion to Mountain Lion.
Did some research and it seems this is happening to everyone.

You have a sandy bridge hack, then u need a SSDT to get full speed.
I have same game performance and same geekbench as before.

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
You have a sandy bridge hack, then u need a SSDT to get full speed.
I have same game performance and same geekbench as before.

Yep, I tried that before and no game... When I first built my hackintosh, my geekbench was a shameful 8 000. I installed the SDDT, got a 14 000.

However, with Mountain Lyon , I have 12000, no matter what I do. I did some research and it seems this happens a lot...

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
So is it better to stick with Lion vs Mountain Lion if you want to game on your Mac?

MacGamerHQ

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Lyon, France
So is it better to stick with Lion vs Mountain Lion if you want to game on your Mac?

In my experience, benchmarks worsen when using ML. however, I don't believe actual game's performance suffered.

But if there's nothing you really want from ML, I would wait and stick with Lion for the moment...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.