Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pocotoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2020
I HAVE A MACBOOK PRO 17" EARLY 2007 WITH OS 10.8.5
I gave my computer to my Granddaughter to use with ZOOM, home schooling. ZOOM says that it will not function with that OS 10.8.5
I started hours of research only to find out that ZOOM will work with 10.9. BUT- this beautiful aluminum "BRICK" I have cannot be upgraded beyond 10.8.5. Why will it work with middle and later 2007 but not the early 2007? Is there anything I can do to get my Granddaughter on line? It appears Apple did my dirty again.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Are you sure your computer can't be upgraded to Mavericks (10.9)? I was under the impression all hardware that can run Mountain Lion can also run Mavericks.

Edit: Also, it would kind of suck, but if your granddaughter just needs Zoom for school, you could install Bootcamp to basically turn the Mac into a Windows machine. But, try upgrading to Mavericks first!

Pocotoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2020
Are you sure your computer can't be upgraded to Mavericks (10.9)? I was under the impression all hardware that can run Mountain Lion can also run Mavericks.

Edit: Also, it would kind of suck, but if your granddaughter just needs Zoom for school, you could install Bootcamp to basically turn the Mac into a Windows machine. But, try upgrading to Mavericks first!
I spent hours on the Internet and talking to Apple repair twice. The 10.8.5 upgrade to 10.9 only works on the middle to late model 2007 MacBook Pro 17". It will not work on the early 2007 model, which mine is. The weird thing is that Apple cannot tell me why one month it works and the next months model will not. I am not familiar with Bootcamp. Do you know what I should pay for that and does it matter what OS the Mac is running as to what Bootcamp to buy? Does it run Windows smooth without hosing up the Mac OS?
Thank you for your help.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
As far as I can tell, there is no Early 2007. There's a Late 2006 (2.33 GHz) and a Mid 2007 (2.4 and 2.6 GHz options).

However, Wowfunhappy is correct; all Macs that can run 10.8 can also run 10.9. Can you double-check which model you're using? Did you potentially use a 'hack' to install 10.8 in the first place?

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
^^ @Pocotoo, just to make sure we're on the same page, can you please click the Apple logo in the top left corner of the screen, open "About This Mac", and then click "More Info"? Send us an exact screenshot of what comes up. You can block out the serial number if you want.

Looking for a screenshot resembling this:
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.47.31 PM.png

Also, what exactly is preventing you from updating to Mavericks? As in, when you try to update, what happens? Where exactly are you getting stuck?

(Let's ignore Bootcamp for now, I'm convinced we can get Mavericks on this machine.)

Last edited:

Pocotoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2020
^^ @Pocotoo, just to make sure we're on the same page, can you please click the Apple logo in the top left corner of the screen, open "About This Mac", and then click "More Info"? Send us an exact screenshot of what comes up. You can block out the serial number if you want.

Looking for a screenshot resembling this:
View attachment 955521
Also, what exactly is preventing you from updating to Mavericks? As in, when you try to update, what happens? Where exactly are you getting stuck?

(Let's ignore Bootcamp for now, I'm convinced we can get Mavericks on this machine.)
My Granddaughter has the computer. I will have to have her do that when she is back home. I have not tried to update for fear of rendering it worthless. I know it's early 2007 because I bought it in Feb 2007 BUT I suppose that could still make it a late 2006. The info is all over the internet talking about the early-middle-late 2007 17" MacBook Pro. I even called Apple twice and 2 different techs spent time trying to help but could not. I really appreciate your help and will get back to you. Have you searched OS 10.8.5 upgrade to 10.9? Many upset owners have been trying this for some time. *My Granddaughter just called and sent me the screen shot - why are screen shots .png? I converted it to ,jpg for you. It did not give year and serial number like yours did.
Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 11.33.48 AM.jpg

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
@Pocotoo Sorry, that's not the right screenshot. Click "More Info" first, and you should get a window like the example I posted.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
MBPro from 2006 does not support 10.8.5 natively.
Also, 2.4 GHz on 17-inch is only on one model: The one called "Mid/Late 2007", which was released in June 2007.
So, your MacBook Pro is newer than you remember.
And then, if you could easily install 10.8.5, then you have the Mid/Late 2007, which can then still be upgraded to OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan), should you want to do that. Probably still not a good choice for a Zoom session (you only have 2GB of RAM), but it should work after upgrading to a supported system.

Pocotoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2020
MBPro from 2006 does not support 10.8.5 natively.
Also, 2.4 GHz on 17-inch is only on one model: The one called "Mid/Late 2007", which was released in June 2007.
So, your MacBook Pro is newer than you remember.
And then, if you could easily install 10.8.5, then you have the Mid/Late 2007, which can then still be upgraded to OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan), should you want to do that. Probably still not a good choice for a Zoom session (you only have 2GB of RAM), but it should work after upgrading to a supported system.
I purchased in Feb 2007. Upgrading to 2.4 might have been an option then BUT it was purchased in Feb 2007- I just checked the receipt again. Thanks for your response.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Okay, I'd still like to see a screenshot of the window that appears when you click "More Info", so we can find out exactly what this is. Something isn't right here. Maybe it's not 17 inches?

And then... Pocotoo, what exactly happens when you try to update? We need more detail on what is failing.

Pocotoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2020
@Pocotoo Sorry, that's not the right screenshot. Click "More Info" first, and you should get a window like the example I posted.
Just had her do what you asked and I attached the pic. This is no help either. I had her look at everything and no date anywhere. I know I have a receipt from Feb 2007. I think I will give Apple one last try with the serial # because I did not have that available when I called them yesterday. I appreciate your input.

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 11.50.44 AM.jpg

Pocotoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2020
Could it be a mid 2007 when I purchased it in Feb 2007? I have not tried to update it because I was afraid of screwing up the 10.8.5 and not having a working computer. The hotline you provided is for the 15" and that could be different than the 17"? I have attached a couple of articles. https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/what-to-do-if-your-mac-cant-run-macos-sierra/ and https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook_pro_2.16_17.html

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The Mid-Late 2007 was introduced in June of 2007. It's called a "speed-bump" of the model that it replaced, the 17-inch Core 2 Duo, which was sold from Oct 2006 to June 2007, when it was replaced by the model that you have now.
If you bought a 17-inch MacBook Pro in Feb 2007, that is not the same one that you have now. This one is definitely one model newer than what was available in February of 2007. If you, in fact, bought a new MacBook Pro in February of 2007, is it possible that you had some kind of service problem, and Apple replaced your original purchase with a newer model?

Pocotoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2020
It sure appears that I am in the wrong and having one helluva "senior Moment". I am going to revisit my research, starting with my receipt and verifying my serial number as to purchase date with Apple. Not today though. Today we have football AND I have found that most companies customer service issues are handled over seas with folks I have a difficult time understanding. I appreciate you sticking with me, Delta.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Don't worry too much about verifying the specific model. Just try installing 10.9 and it'll either start installing, or it'll pop up a 'system too old' message.

With that said, it looks like 10.11 is also compatible, and also seems to be the earliest that Apple still provides for download.

Reactions: Wowfunhappy

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
@Pocotoo were you able to successfully install 10.11 El Capitan?

The laptop would also run SO much better with an upgrade to 6GB RAM and a solid state drive.

To be quite honest, if you had those installed for her it would feel like a brand new computer, essentially!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.