Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

george.woody1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2021
Hi everyone, I recently receive as a gift from a friend, an old imac 2006 with lion.

The specs are

C2d
4gb ram sdram ddr 2 667
256gb hdd
Ati x1600 (it says 128 mb shared)

The thing is, I succesfully installed mountain lion 10.8 (the only .app I could get) with macpostfactor 2.0.1. All went smoothly. The imac runs smooth. But the update notifies me there is an update to 10.8.5... And I dont know if its safe or not.

I have to say, when I installed 10.8, I did it in a 60gb partition I made (named mountain lion) and the original partion of lion (mac) is intact and usable as backup partition..

My only doubt is that, if is it safe to upgrade or not. I dont want to mess the 3 days of investigation xd

I hope made myself understand, althoug english is not my native language..

Thanks a lot

unilock

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2019
No, it won't be safe to upgrade; not when using MacPostFactor.

Use NexPostFacto instead. You'll want either the 10.8 64-bit version for Mountain Lion, or the 10.9 version for Mavericks (which I would recommend). You will have to format your Mountain Lion partition first.

By the way, you can download the latest version of OS X Mountain Lion directly from Apple here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2076

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.