Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sverre Søderberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2020
10 core iMac Pro, Vega64, 64GB and 2000+ MB/s Samsung x5 external drive. Multi cam footage: x2 4K 8:1 Blackmagic RAW clips and 1x 4.6k URSA G2 8:1 blackmagic RAW clip. Editing multicam timeline in Davinci Resolve. macOS Catalina.

Rendering half resolution proxy 422 files to my X5 disk. Editing without any color corrections. Smooth playback for a while, but after 10-20 min of editing I’m getting FPS drops with 10-20 FPS with the GPU maxing out at 80 degrees. 90 ish percent memory usage on the GPU.

I’m guessing the GPU throttling is the reason for my drop in frames? Bit surprising because of the usage of 422 half resolution optimized media..?! Would also think the after a couple of min rest, the GPU should be cold enough to keep up with the footage... but no. Am I falsely thinking the iMac Pro is fast enough to handle this kind of multi camera timeline? I’m not having any other apps/processes running in the background.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.