Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hadek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
[I had to edit the original post because people didn't understand my frustrated language]

What happens is this:
Two computers: A (any box) and PB.

I open a lid on 'sleeping' PB and screen displays the login prompt (but no one will attempt unlock the machine)

If I initiate an ssh call (regardless if I use dns resolution or ip address) from A and in the meantime the PB will go to sleep and will not wake up.

That's how simple it is to crash a PB.

can anyone explain what is going on?

hdk

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
My powerbook doesnt have eternal sleep. (that I know of)

Is this a new feature on the latest revision?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
100%?

Umm.. I cannot reproduce this.

AlPB, 10.4.3, wired or wireless. ssh waits everytime until the box is fully awake and then connects normally.

Are you trying to use a FQDN to ssh to, or a numerical IP?

Or is your step "let the PB fall back into eternal sleep" a step I'm misunderstanding? Are you just never logging into ssh and waiting for the PB to go to sleep again?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
spencecb said:
What the hell is everyone talking about on this thread?

hadek says you can 100% "crash" your PB with his above steps..

I refute that claim and await his/her return to clarify.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
yellow said:
hadek says you can 100% "crash" your PB with his above steps..

I refute that claim and await his/her return to clarify.

I understand what the original poster claims, as far as you can 100% crash your PB with his above steps...but I have no idea what is goin on in those steps.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Since I can get it to work (e.g. not crash/sleep) 100% of the time.. I wait for some renewed steps. :) I wonder if the user is having a DNS reverse lookup issue.

hadek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
it's simple

By "eternal" I mean crash. My PB will not wake up.

What happens is this:
Two computers: A (any box) and PB.

If I open a lid on PB and screen displays the login screen (but no one will attempt unlock the machine)

If I initiate an ssh call (regardless if I use dns resolution or ip address) from A and in the meantime the PB will go to sleep and will not wake up.

That's how simple it is to crash a PB.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Way to crash ANY Mac/OS X combo:

1) Transfer a file through network.
2) Disconnect server without warning during transfer.
3) Be mind boggled about how easily a network mishap can crash the best OS in the world.

:rolleyes:

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
blaskillet4 said:

3) Be mind boggled about how easily a network mishap can crash the best OS in the world.

That happened to me today. :eek:

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
blaskillet4 said:

I noticed that before as well. It works everytime you want to crash your system.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
blaskillet4 said:

Rumor also has it that dropping your mac into water during network transfer too will crash your mac.

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
alexstein said:
I noticed that before as well. It works everytime you want to crash your system.

Why would anybody want to crash his/her computer???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

If you want a computer that crashes offten... get a PC with XP and 256ram.. LOL

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
mbopy22 said:
Why would anybody want to crash his/her computer???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I certainly want to know what crashes my computer. Then I know what to avoid doing. Like until now, I didn't know that "dropping your mac into water during network transfer too will crash your mac." Now I know and I'll try to stay away from water when using my PB when doing a network transfer.

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
blaskillet4 said:

I HATE THAT!!!
It happens every time I do transfers and my mom shuts down her powermac!!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hmmmm...now this network file transfer issue is making me paranoid. Even though I've personally never seen it.

Maybe it's a good thing that the WebDAV here doesn't work properly, and I have to use Goliath? :eek: Because the network drives go down altogether too frequently. :(

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
mbopy22 said:

Did you read this Thread's title: "100% certain way to crash any PB/OS...)

I just added a sarcastic reply to the thread. Lighten up! I know that nobody here "wants their computers to crash!".

But you can't change the fact that it happens once in awhile and it certainly can happen very very easy when the server or the host computer abruptly disconnects or shuts down during a wireless/wired network transfer.

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
blaskillet4 said:

You gotta be kidding me. I'm going to try it on my G3 10.2.x setup. Cant be that easy. LOL

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
contoursvt said:
You gotta be kidding me. I'm going to try it on my G3 10.2.x setup. Cant be that easy. LOL

Yeah, really...

All that should do is beachball for at the max 30s and then OS X will say [Server Name] Connection Lost <Disconnect>. I don't think I've ever had OS X crash like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.