Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i joined yesterday as well. good to know i can stop the app and not lose work.

1. just to confirm, i can apple-q and be okay?

2. after my protein is done, it automatically communicates w/ the server? (i've got a 24/7 connection) or do i have to do something?

3. does it start the next protein right away?

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
I just joined today. I had some spare time here at work so I went ahead and loaded it. I have a P3 500 here at work and a 350 G3 at home that I will be loading it up on later. Not spectacular machines but its something.

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Originally posted by zimv20
i joined yesterday as well. good to know i can stop the app and not lose work.

1. just to confirm, i can apple-q and be okay?

2. after my protein is done, it automatically communicates w/ the server? (i've got a 24/7 connection) or do i have to do something?

3. does it start the next protein right away?

I'll take a crack at answering you questions, even though I'm new also. I just completed my first work unit, ranked #133 and rising.

1. Yes, the program saves its data after each "frame" it computes. This means you might lose at most an hour of work, but the program will start back up from the last completed frame.

2. As long as you didn't change any settings, I'm pretty sure that the default is for the program to do everything automatically. So you should be fine.

3. Yes, it automatically downloads the next protein and begins working again. I'm 0.3% done with WU #2 :D .

It's great to see how many new people have joined, including myself. Hopefully we can keep up the processing and not just do a couple work units and quit. Thanks to Rower and mc68k for helping everyone out. Hope this answered your questions.

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Originally posted by spinner
I just joined today. I had some spare time here at work so I went ahead and loaded it. I have a P3 500 here at work and a 350 G3 at home that I will be loading it up on later. Not spectacular machines but its something.

Everything helps out. My iBook is only a 366mhz G3, but it loves folding :D . It took me about a week to finish my last work unit, but who's counting anyway...oh, wait a sec. Anyway, nice to have another new member, and welcome :) .

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Thanks to all of you! It's great to see more people taking an interest in helping others. The competition doesn't seem to hurt either. :)

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by bousozoku
Thanks to all of you! It's great to see more people taking an interest in helping others. The competition doesn't seem to hurt either. :)
Yeah currently macnn reports a +20 member increase. Good job people.
Our output is increasing and we have a great increase in members so we should be able to hold of the other incoming groups slightly longer.
:D
Oh yeah and we are gonna pass 2 teams in the near future but we still have incoming from behind.
Macnn is really pushing for #3 mac.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I even noticed one or two people who haven't folded for a while have their scores increasing lately. :) It's just too bad so many people got their original experience with one work unit and 0.6 points. Those who have gotten 19.7 points feel much better about their experience, I'm quite certain.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Getting over 40 points yesterday, more than half of all the points I had before I stopped in Decemeber, was quite a surprise. Even though it takes a while to get it all done. I'll probably have a month or so before I get 100 WU, but it will be quite a few more points than I would have thought possible. :D

D

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
One quick question...how many "points" is a work unit worth? I'm at about 95% on my first protein thingy, and I'm wondering how many points that will bring in for Team MacRumors :).

--Fred

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Re: Re: Good job!

Originally posted by mc68k
can't really win, but it would be nice to be the top mac team.

thanks 4 ur generous contribution. :)

Fogive my ignornece, but why not?

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Good job!

Originally posted by Jaykay
Fogive my ignornece, but why not?
look at the top non-agregate teams. they put out our week total in 6 hours. and they've been doing it for a long time.

but rower is right, 3000-4000 machines in any team would put said team in the top 10 regardless of MHz. i've seen it happen before.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Good job!

Originally posted by mc68k
look at the top non-agregate teams. they put out our week total in 6 hours. and they've been doing it for a long time.

but rower is right, 3000-4000 machines in any team would put said team in the top 10 regardless of MHz. i've seen it happen before.

Yeah any computer as long as it doesn't pass the deadline helps tons.

I'm just saying if 3000 computers put out a unit every 3-5 weeks that still means a massive dump when they are all done.
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.