Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Any recent rumors or evidence of a MacPro, or some kind of headless Mac bigger and more expandable than the MacMini but less expensive than the current MacPro? I want a BYODKM Mac (non-laptop) but the Mini is not expandable enough, same with the iMac (which is not BYODKM), and the MacPro is too expensive.

This is the problem with being dedicated to an OS that is crippled to run only on hardware "blessed" by the company making the OS.

Sure, I'd much rather have Apple hardware. But for $1000+ difference in price I'll take a Dell - if only OS X would run on it.

So, Apple... either fill in the hardware/price gaps, or open OS X to run on all hardware!

:mad:

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Do you want a BYOKM Mac or a BYODKM Mac? Minor difference it may seem, but you know, it helps to clarify.

Ah, yes, I missed the D. Yea, I want a Bring Your Own Display Keyboard Mouse Mac in a tower configuration for ~$1000. And I don't want to run a hacked version of OS X (as in osX86project).

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
So, Apple... either fill in the hardware/price gaps, or open OS X to run on all hardware!

:mad:

Why can't you open you wallet to fill in the price gap?

I'm so sick of people complaining that Apple don't make exactly what they want with exactly the features they're looking for at the price they want to pay. If you can't afford it that's too bad. I can't afford many things I want either.

I'll agree that their lineup has some weak spots, but I'll be damned if the fact that I want more than a $1500 iMac and less than a $2500 Mac Pro is somehow Apple's fault. So save your money, forget about what you want and buy what you need.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Aloha everyone,

I was on the PC train during the G3-G5 days (I jus switched last August), but I think the Mac Pro line needs a bit of a facelift. I really like the looks of the G3-G5 lines, but the Mac Pro looks too much like a PowerMac G5. I really liked the multi-colored Macs of the G3 and G4 lines. In fact, I almost purchased a G3 iMac, but was swayed by the lack of available software in the local CompUSA and the fact that it didn't have a floppy drive. I was into Linux at that time, as I was getting exceedingly tired of the "Microsoft Experience", and though I knew of Linux distros for the Mac, never really seriously considered buying the iMac.

I've looked at various eBay auctions and can see the beauty of the older towers. I wouldn't mind having one, but my real goal is to purchase a new Mac Pro. I guess my dream Mac would be the insides o f the Mac Pro and the outsides of either a PowerMac G3 or PowerMac G4. Of course, I'll leave that up to Apple. Now that I've gone Mac, I'm never looking back. I love the "Mac Experience" and the aesthetics of both my iMac and MacBook Pro - they are TONS better than the PC desktops and laptops I've had in the past. Of course, I never really bought them from an aesthetic standpoint, but primarily from a functionality standpoint.

With an Apple product, I can get both a beautiful and functional computer, however :D I just want Apple to hurry up and release Leopard so that I can once again enjoy the best OS in existence, leaving Microsoft once again try to catch up to Apple :D

HawaiiMacAddict

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Why can't you open you wallet to fill in the price gap?

I'm so sick of people complaining that Apple don't make exactly what they want with exactly the features they're looking for at the price they want to pay. If you can't afford it that's too bad. I can't afford many things I want either.

I'll agree that their lineup has some weak spots, but I'll be damned if the fact that I want more than a $1500 iMac and less than a $2500 Mac Pro is somehow Apple's fault. So save your money, forget about what you want and buy what you need.

Whoa! Stop being AFAW! I wouldn't fault Apple for the gaps if they would allow OS X to run on ****ty Dell hardware. But this thread isn't about that issue. I want a ~$1000 (or less) Mac tower computer. And I CAN afford a MacPro - It just is not worth the price tag and I refuse to throw my money away.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Whoa! Stop being AFAW! I wouldn't fault Apple for the gaps if they would allow OS X to run on ****ty Dell hardware. But this thread isn't about that issue. I want a ~$1000 (or less) Mac tower computer. And I CAN afford a MacPro - It just is not worth the price tag and I refuse to throw my money away.

If you need it and can afford it you buy it. If you want it and don't want to pay for it you go on the internet and whine about it.

I want a Porsche Cayman but it's not worth $50k. Why can't Porsche release something with less features and price it at $30k?

Where's iGary when you need him?
baby-crying.jpg

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Association of Filipino Architects in Washington.
Good, because I'd hate for it to for it to stand for A F______ A__ Wipe or some such, because, of course, that would not be tolerated.

On the off chance that it, in fact, stands for something other than the Association of Filipino Architects in Washington, I think it's best we stop this discussion before it degrades more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.