Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
Yesterday morning I woke up to just shy of 10k in fraudulent charges on my Apple Card. So far, I have no resolve from with the charges. I have spoken with a couple of Apple Card reps with Goldman Sachs, not one bit impressed with their willingness to assist. Although the charges were reported as fraud, they are still listed on my account, and no follow up email or call from GS. To put it mildly I'm ragingly pissed. The main draw for me with the card was better security. I have only given out my actual card number and it was via a state gov website for a fee. Seems like an easy data breach to pursue if it is not a larger issue with Apple or GS. They frankly don't care.

I'm glad I have another credit card with me as I'm traveling and my credit limit on the Apple Card is maxed out with the fraudulent charges. So disappointed.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Although the charges were reported as fraud, they are still listed on my account, and no follow up email or call from GS.

This is not unusual for other credit cards also. The fraudulent charge shows until it has been investigated. During that time you're not obligated to pay it. I've had the same thing happen to me several times with my Visa Platinum personal and business cards. However, GS should have sent you an email telling you what they were doing to resolve it.

Reactions: BF1M

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
However, GS should have sent you an email telling you what they were doing to resolve it.
Yes I was just about to say that it's certainly not great communications.

I believe they normally would cancel and reissue the card too. Fortunately, that should be an easier process on the new card?

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Yes I was just about to say that it's certainly not great communications.

I believe they normally would cancel and reissue the card too. Fortunately, that should be an easier process on the new card?
Well with the Apple Card they don’t have to reissue the the card as there is a place in the app itself to request a new number yourself. Tap the card in the wallet, then the ellipse, then card information and there is an option to request a new number. Perhaps the GS rep should have suggested that.
I had what I thought was an issue with a charge from the Apple Store and the GS rep said I had to wait for the charge to go beyond pending and message them back. I did and they rather quickly changed the questioned charge to “transaction in review” and put a credit on my account for the same amount. But I did get a text and an email explaining what was going on with a reference number which I am surprised you didn’t.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Well with the Apple Card they don’t have to reissue the the card as there is a place in the app itself to request a new number yourself. Tap the card in the wallet, then the ellipse, then card information and there is an option to request a new number. Perhaps the GS rep should have suggested that.
I had what I thought was an issue with a charge from the Apple Store and the GS rep said I had to wait for the charge to go beyond pending and message them back. I did and they rather quickly changed the questioned charge to “transaction in review” and put a credit on my account for the same amount. But I did get a text and an email explaining what was going on with a reference number which I am surprised you didn’t.
Yup - thus my "easier process on the new card" comment.

I am not in the US, so, unfortunately, have not had the chance to even try it out. Long wait for me!

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Same issue here just over of $7000 fraudulent charges from Loughborough Universit, until they hit my spending limit. Fortunately for me I had purchased a trip and that took up a bit of the card. Strange thing is the card has now been paid up on 17 Oct, but the balance had not cleared yet, which is why I hit the spending limit.

Called Apple got my virtual card canceled and new card number issued over the phone in 5 minutes.
fraud.png

Last edited:

southflguy

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2012
Same thing here - over $3K in fraudulent charges. For me it was "University of Leeds". So sure I got a new virtual card number but my problem is that every charge since then with the new number, EVERY single one is declined and I have to go into the app to verify it and charge it again. Apple Card support said there's nothing wrong with my account. I have to say that for the most secure card this has never happened to me before in my 25+ years of having many different credit cards.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Same thing here - over $3K in fraudulent charges. For me it was "University of Leeds". So sure I got a new virtual card number but my problem is that every charge since then with the new number, EVERY single one is declined and I have to go into the app to verify it and charge it again. Apple Card support said there's nothing wrong with my account. I have to say that for the most secure card this has never happened to me before in my 25+ years of having many different credit cards.
I did find it odd that I've only had this card a little over a month and already having issues. My Chase card has had only one issue in 20 years. I did have to wait three days for a new card, so Apple is at least one up on that. All current charges after 'the incident and number change' seem to be working.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Boy, talk about odd. I started another thread on charges being declined every time using the actual card with chip, or card number online for transactions >1k. They get an auto email to validate and even then get declined forcing them to re-run for a second time.

I wonder how these fraudulent charges are happening. Are you folks getting the notification to "validate" though the wallet app, followed up with an email saying same? Be that as it may, this really stinks and sorry for your troubles.

One thing I can attest to is this- GS service sucks a$$. The iMessage and Call agents really do act as if they could care less.  is going to have a PR nightmare if this takes off with bad press, I am hoping it does soon.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Boy, talk about odd. I started another thread on charges being declined every time using the actual card with chip, or card number online for transactions >1k.
Card works every time. Used constantly, have something like $89 Apple bucks in the little over a month I've had the card.
Online purchase of a little over $6000 for a trip no issue.
Are you folks getting the notification to "validate" though the wallet app, followed up with an email saying same?
No auto emails to validate through wallet app.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Sounds like you are a winner. others are not so fortunate, IE in this thread
Well when you consider how many people have the Card and how many are actually having issues like yours - and I am not making light of people having issues - the number is probably a pretty small percentage. Now that is not a comfort to those who have had problems.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Same issue here just over of $7000 fraudulent charges from Loughborough Universit, until they hit my spending limit. Fortunately for me I had purchased a trip and that took up a bit of the card. Strange thing is the card has now been paid up on 17 Oct, but the balance had not cleared yet, which is why I hit the spending limit.

Called Apple got my virtual card canceled and new card number issued over the phone in 5 minutes.
View attachment 872112
And the fraudulent charges removed? I only ask such that when I can get the card, I hope the same applies

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Sounds like you are a winner. others are not so fortunate, IE in this thread
Just lucky, from what I'm reading.

Caught the error and contacted Apple support. They canceled the virtual card over the phone after about a five minute wait and transfer to another agent. Then gave instructions on how to request new card number through the wallet app. Next morning, no issues getting breakfast.

Just passing on my experience as more often you only read about one side of the story.
[automerge]1571944789[/automerge]
And the fraudulent charges removed? I only ask such that when I can get the card, I hope the same applies
As of right now, fraudulent charges are still listed.
Balance is correct, but available is NOT. I'm still short a little over $7000.

I was going to give it 72 hours and then call again if not 'refunded' ( allowed access to full credit ).

bobt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
OP, with a long overdue update (been travel in areas with no or damn near no cell coverage). GS totally dropped the ball with no follow up from my initial calls when the fraud charges were reported. They did nothing. The next day after receiving no email or phone followup, I checked my account and the charges were not listed as being disputed and my credit limit was still consumed with the fraudulent charges. Again, using their messaging system I was told nothing had been done and I needed to call their support number. The rep finally put through dispute credits on each of the charges. A week has gone by since then, nothing further from GS, no communication, no complete credit on the charges, nothing. The charges are still showing with the dispute amounts too.

Bottomline, this is the worst credit card experience I’ve encountered. Goldman Sachs does not have their **** together with monitoring for fraud (they have plenty of info that should show foreign tuition fees would be highly suspect in the middle of the night, in moderate transaction amounts, 1 minute or so apart on each). The customer services reps all suck, with poor communication skills, zero apathy or ability to resolve problems.

I signed up for the Apple Card feeling it would provide some additional security when using the card in restaurants and stores with having no printed card number. So far, I’m not impressed especially seeing others experiencing similar foreign tuition payment fraud.

southflguy

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2012
So I had a similar incident I posted on another thread. But Goldman Sachs did even worse. They say I'm responsible for fraudulent charges to some university in England $2600 AND they CLOSED my account. I call in and get no answers whatsoever.

bobt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
So I had a similar incident I posted on another thread. But Goldman Sachs did even worse. They say I'm responsible for fraudulent charges to some university in England $2600 AND they CLOSED my account. I call in and get no answers whatsoever.

was the college UCL in London?

southflguy

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2012
was the college UCL in London?

It was Leeds.ac.uk. I'm not sure if it's London or not but somewhere in the UK.
[automerge]1572353994[/automerge]
The customer services reps all suck, with poor communication skills, zero apathy or ability to resolve problems.

This is the most surprising thing. I have had literally dozens of credit cards and never run into a group of people that simply don't seem to care. Fraud? sorry it was ruled against you. Why was my account closed? Sorry can't give you an answer. Mind you this was very similar to the OP - a charge to a UK college in what would have been the middle of the night over in the UK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.