Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Thanks man I really
Appreciate The advice
As far as i know, Chargig from 1-20percent up to 100percent Repeatedly, decreases the battery health much faster than Keeping the battery between 30-80percent ...
And we all know i phones Usually come at some where 50 percent charged,
So Just to make sure...
If i turn this thing off and Keep it that way for let's say 1years The battery wont be dead/Severely damaged?
I mean i dont wanna turn it on with something like 10-15percent wear level
(Of course i can Recharge it once every 2-3month but other than that i plan on keeping it off)
From Apple’s support page:

If you want to store your device long term, two key factors will affect the overall health of your battery: the environmental temperature and the percentage of charge on the battery when it’s powered down for storage. Therefore, we recommend the following:

• Do not fully charge or fully discharge your device’s battery — charge it to around 50%. If you store a device when its battery is fully discharged, the battery could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding a charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may lose some capacity, leading to shorter battery life.
  • Power down the device to avoid additional battery use.
  • Place your device in a cool, moisture-free environment that’s less than 90° F (32° C).
  • If you plan to store your device for longer than six months, charge it to 50% every six months.
Depending on how long you store your device, it may be in a low-battery state when you remove it from long-term storage. After it’s removed from storage, it may require 20 minutes of charging with the original adapter before you can use it.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

ilfn143

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Enron by the Sea
0A881F79-209A-4FF4-9C49-79951502B6B9.png
AB4864EF-7554-461B-91F3-13E9828D2AB3.png
My battery health shows 83% but I only get ~2hrs of usage after fully changed with only safari, no game

Reactions: simonmet

Persian-apple

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Iran
View attachment 758378 View attachment 758377 My battery health shows 83% but I only get ~2hrs of usage after fully changed with only safari, no game
i got a (if i remember correctly) 2.5+year old 6S plus Probably charged it nearly 1000times
It's been my main phone and I do everything On it for example: shooting large 4K videos , Uploading Huge files to icloud , gaming Demanding medical apps and hotspotting my phone with multiple devices for long hours
I havent dropped it much ~its always Been in a case
Its at 82percent battery health now ...
It's not faster than my iphone X but It runs Kinda smoother than my X (or as Smooth)
No lags,No battery issues
My usgw time is Somewhere around 5-6Hours
I can drain it in 2 hours with some heavy usage , e.g. Playing a demanding game With LTE on and On a High level of brightnesss
But normally i can use it for at least 5hours before i will need to recharge
Hope this helps and sorry for the punctuations:(
[doublepost=1523854005][/doublepost]
From Apple’s support page:

If you want to store your device long term, two key factors will affect the overall health of your battery: the environmental temperature and the percentage of charge on the battery when it’s powered down for storage. Therefore, we recommend the following:

• Do not fully charge or fully discharge your device’s battery — charge it to around 50%. If you store a device when its battery is fully discharged, the battery could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding a charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may lose some capacity, leading to shorter battery life.
  • Power down the device to avoid additional battery use.
  • Place your device in a cool, moisture-free environment that’s less than 90° F (32° C).
  • If you plan to store your device for longer than six months, charge it to 50% every six months.
Depending on how long you store your device, it may be in a low-battery state when you remove it from long-term storage. After it’s removed from storage, it may require 20 minutes of charging with the original adapter before you can use it.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/
I have already seen that article , But I didnt read the part about Storing devices for long periods
So i will do as It says
Ill recharge Up to 50percent Turn it off and keep it in my room (which usually doesnt get warmer than 25-30C)

I'll check the Battery level and reharge back to 50 every few month

Have you ever done this for Any of your devices
I'm just curious To know how effective these tips are
Thanks for the response!
That definitly helped

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I don't trust coconut , i've got an X which ahs probably less than 20 cycles on it, coconut nattery reports 99 percetn but IOS says 100percent
And the battery life app bounces between 99 and 100
No way a new battery Gets weared out this fast
NO WAY

That is easily within both manufacturing variability and margin of error in the estimation. It could even be down to simple rounding, with the difference being much less than 1%.

1% is nothing to lose sleep over!

Reactions: simonsi

Persian-apple

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
Iran
That is easily within both manufacturing variability and margin of error in the estimation. It could even be down to simple rounding, with the difference being much less than 1%.

1% is nothing to lose sleep over!
Yeah Youre right 1 percent Isnt that much But if the battery starts to wear out with out even being charged 20times Thats Not a good thing you know...
But Yeah im fine with my battery
Thanks For the response ❤️
[doublepost=1523888004][/doublepost]
my wife's day 1 iPhone 6 64GB says its still at 100% capacity. That is some BS Apple. I'm going to say that your battery health beta is not even a beta!
Maybe The guage On the battery itself is Damaged Or some software but im sure if some apps like coconut can access All of these information then i guess If the battery (he hardware) works properly the IOS software should be able to understand this is probably a Weared out battery...
But mine really feels Like 70-80percent of proginal capacity its not that bad for me

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah Youre right 1 percent Isnt that much But if the battery starts to wear out with out even being charged 20times Thats Not a good thing you know...
But Yeah im fine with my battery
Thanks For the response ❤️
These types of things are estimates based on some measurements and they aren't exact in the sense of being perfect representations of the battery chemistry and thus have some tolerance to them, so something like 1% isn't meaningful to imply something one way or another basically.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I just charged up an old iPhone 6. The iOS battery health reports max capacity of 78%. Coconut battery is reporting 35.7% design capacity. Yikes... That's quite the discrepancy.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I just charged up an old iPhone 6. The iOS battery health reports max capacity of 78%. Coconut battery is reporting 35.7% design capacity. Yikes... That's quite the discrepancy.
Something is not right there. I've seen 1-2 point discrepancy, but 43% is unheard of.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Something is not right there. I've seen 1-2 point discrepancy, but 43% is unheard of.

The only thing I can think of is if the user has one of those bad batteries in the 6, 6+, 6s, 6s+ series. My wife's restarting 6s+ did this, coconutBattery would randomly show 40% capacity, 80% capacity, then settle at 97%. Apple's Genius showed >80% every single time. So maybe those batteries had a voltage drop problem or something, dunno.

Every other time with every other device, coconutBattery has been spot on or within a few points - like you said.

Hicksmat1976

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester, England
this morning my battery was at 100% after charging over night. I listened to Apple Music over bluetooth in the car for 25 mins on the way into work which brought it down to 98%. Then I went to pick up a coffee and watched as my phone battery dropped point by point from 98% down to 85% in less than a minute. iOS 11.3 iPhone6S Plus 128GB only just over a year old. Battery health beta says 95%, coconut says 93% but this kind of drain is ridiculous. Is there a battery bug with Apple Music on iOS 11.3 or something?

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hmmm, stumbled across this forum when looking to see if anyone is having similar issues. On my 6s (which had the battery replaced in December 2016 under warranty) battery health in iOS 11.3 is reporting 93%. Coconut battery reported 82% health last week and today it is reporting 72% health. Seems pretty strange... I'm not sure I trust Coconut battery in this case, but it's always seemed pretty accurate in the past?? I haven't taken advantage of the discounted battery replacement at the Apple Store yet, but perhaps it is time to...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hmmm, stumbled across this forum when looking to see if anyone is having similar issues. On my 6s (which had the battery replaced in December 2016 under warranty) battery health in iOS 11.3 is reporting 93%. Coconut battery reported 82% health last week and today it is reporting 72% health. Seems pretty strange... I'm not sure I trust Coconut battery in this case, but it's always seemed pretty accurate in the past?? I haven't taken advantage of the discounted battery replacement at the Apple Store yet, but perhaps it is time to...
Did you check Coconut Battery when you phone was at 100% charge? As I recall, that's the proper way to do with with Coconut Battery as far as getting an accurate result.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Did you check Coconut Battery when you phone was at 100% charge? As I recall, that's the proper way to do with with Coconut Battery as far as getting an accurate result.
It's back to 82% with a full charge. I know it is most accurate with a full charge but I've never experienced more than an approximately 2% discrepancy between the fully charged and partially charged battery health in Coconut Battery, so even that result seems a little strange to me and perhaps suggests that my battery is having trouble delivering a full current when it is not fully charged? It is also still a >10% discrepancy from what battery health in iOS is reporting...

cola79

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
I think coconut is more accurate than the apple status.

Coconut showed me 84% and apple 86%. But today my SE shut down for the very first time and i get the message under battery beta now.

So obviously the battery isn’t dead at 80%, but way before, according to apples rating you have to worry once it drops under 90%.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think coconut is more accurate than the apple status.

Coconut showed me 84% and apple 86%. But today my SE shut down for the very first time and i get the message under battery beta now.

So obviously the battery isn’t dead at 80%, but way before, according to apples rating you have to worry once it drops under 90%.
The capacity percentage is just one reading related to battery health, there are other factors that play a role in it too which aren't necessarily things that have a reportable number associated with them.

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
Coconut seems more accurate to me based on usage. In fact, the reason I got it was because my usage time on the iPhone 6 seemed serverely diminished (this was before the whole hullaballoo about throttling). I ended up buying the X. Today, I updated my 6 so that it would have the latest iOS with battery life.

No way my battery is 81% of max.

IMG_45AF172639AF-1.jpeg Untitled.png

edit: coconut was not 'fully charged' ---something else must have happened during an iOS update, as 74% of max would/may have likely gone unnoticed by me (unless the battery gained capacity sitting in a drawer for many many months).
Untitled.png

Unplugging and plugging back in yielded something more similar to the original coconut report o_O

Untitled.png

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm not concerned about a slight discrepancy between iOS Battery Health and coconutBattery. I am, however, concerned that iOS Battery Health is definitely not reporting accurately:

iPhone battery health.png

coconutBattery's readings are much more reflective of the actual life I'm getting on a charge. With almost no usage (a few text messages and less than 5 minutes screen time), my battery will drain from 100% to 75% in just over an hour, which is significantly worse than when the battery was new.

The problem is that when I take it to Apple to get a battery replacement, it doesn't qualify for the discounted replacement program, because Apple shows the health as being above 80%. They don't take coconutBattery results into account. This is an issue because as I'm currently outside the U.S., a non-discounted battery replacement costs $150. I wish Battery Health was more accurate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.