Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
I'm totally confused by this new feature of imessage being stored in icloud. I've enabled everything. It said "uploading to icloud" for a little bit and then seemed to finish. When I go to icloud settings and "manage icloud storage" it shows over 1 gig of imessages that should be uploaded. But when I click on that it only shows 84mb uploaded and only a few saved conversations. I'm plugged in and connected to wifi and it still doesn't seem to be uploading any more messages. Sure doesn't seem to be working properly.

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001
Somerset West, South Africa
I'm totally confused by this new feature of imessage being stored in icloud. I've enabled everything. It said "uploading to icloud" for a little bit and then seemed to finish. When I go to icloud settings and "manage icloud storage" it shows over 1 gig of imessages that should be uploaded. But when I click on that it only shows 84mb uploaded and only a few saved conversations. I'm plugged in and connected to wifi and it still doesn't seem to be uploading any more messages. Sure doesn't seem to be working properly.

Had the same problem. Signed out of iCloud, restarted the iPhone. Then signed in again to iCloud and activated iMessage sync toggle. Sync then worked correctly. PITA nonetheless as it took a bit of investigation to determine options.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Thanx Hawaiian Starman, I tried but its still not doing much. Uploaded about half my messages and still doesn't seem to be doing anything. Under the "manage storage" screen it shows 1.1 gigs for imessage which doesn't seem to change no matter what messages I delete or new messages I get. But when I go the the next screen for imessage at forst it still says "zero" mb used but when I go back and forward on screens a couple times is shows 200mb used. Seems like this new feature has some glitches. Just doesn't seem to be working smoothly.
[doublepost=1528846445][/doublepost]
did you plug into a an outlet near a wifi source like it tells you for the first sync?

I did. I've tried lots of things and keep leaving it plugged in for long periods of time. It uploaded about half my messages and still doesn't seem to be doing anything. Under the "manage storage" screen it shows 1.1 gigs for imessage which doesn't seem to change no matter what messages I delete or new messages I get. But when I go the the next screen for imessage at first it still says "zero" mb used but when I go back and forward on screens a couple times is shows 200mb used. Maybe 1 or 2 messages are uploaded every few hours but it's still only half of my total messages on my phone (and also my mac). Seems like this new feature has some glitches. Just doesn't seem to be working smoothly. The one thing that does work is the syncing of deleted threads from one device to all my devices. It's just having trouble uploading saved messages to the cloud.

CrashTestWalrus

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
I’d just try to wait it out some more if I were you. My messages in the cloud are pretty well hosed right now and I’m having to wait out the 30 day delete timer, but when it was synced and working during the beta it took about three days for everything to stabilize. I think it was doing the bulk of the work at night plugged into the charger and connected to WiFi. There isn’t a lot of tools to give you any visibility on what’s actually occurring and the only platform that still has the manual sync button from the original iOS 11 and high sierra beta days of last summer is the Mac.

Reactions: Schmactor

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I’d just try to wait it out some more if I were you. My messages in the cloud are pretty well hosed right now and I’m having to wait out the 30 day delete timer, but when it was synced and working during the beta it took about three days for everything to stabilize. I think it was doing the bulk of the work at night plugged into the charger and connected to WiFi. There isn’t a lot of tools to give you any visibility on what’s actually occurring and the only platform that still has the manual sync button from the original iOS 11 and high sierra beta days of last summer is the Mac.

This is what I'm doing. I turned off iCloud messages on both my devices and deleted it in the cloud. Now the wait. Everything is fine on my Mac but my phone was hosed as soon as I turned it on.

iCloud messages is a **** show right now.

CrashTestWalrus

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
This is what I'm doing. I turned off iCloud messages on both my devices and deleted it in the cloud. Now the wait. Everything is fine on my Mac but my phone was hosed as soon as I turned it on.

iCloud messages is a **** show right now.
I agree. It worked for me during the beta, kind of. I tried to fix it and managed to destroy everything good. I’m really disappointed about there being no way to speed the 30 day timer up. It’s a terrible way to troubleshoot things when it takes that long to reset. I even opened a case with Apple support about it and was told they can’t even erase it early.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I agree. It worked for me during the beta, kind of. I tried to fix it and managed to destroy everything good. I’m really disappointed about there being no way to speed the 30 day timer up. It’s a terrible way to troubleshoot things when it takes that long to reset. I even opened a case with Apple support about it and was told they can’t even erase it early.

Same here. I suggested a fresh start and they said due to the encryption and such, could not wipe it. I would ha e to wait out the 30 days. Even then, there’s no guarantee. Really pisses me off. I like having my message history. I only have 3 important ones but they are very important to me and I would be devastated if they were lost.

Only bright side is everything is on my Mac. Just need it off there and on my phone. Which is what I thought the whole purpose of iCloud messages was.

Wrong.

It’s as if my Mac does not see my phone and vice versa. Only recent events.

CrashTestWalrus

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
Same here. I suggested a fresh start and they said due to the encryption and such, could not wipe it. I would ha e to wait out the 30 days. Even then, there’s no guarantee. Really pisses me off. I like having my message history. I only have 3 important ones but they are very important to me and I would be devastated if they were lost.

Only bright side is everything is on my Mac. Just need it off there and on my phone. Which is what I thought the whole purpose of iCloud messages was.

Wrong.

It’s as if my Mac does not see my phone and vice versa. Only recent events.

I luckily didn’t lose anything, it just pretended like there was nothing on my device except things that arrived after some arbitrary dated or purposes of syncing to iCloud. The interesting thing is that the phone and iPad both think they have everything synced to iCloud. I had a test device that had nothing on it so I can see exactly what was in iCloud before I disabled on everything. Giant cluster though, and not being able to speed up that 30 day timer is horrible. I’m hoping once the 30 days expires I can just re-enable and everything go back to working like it had been. I lost a bunch of message history to iOS 9 betas and a shoddy backup plan on my part so I have already gotte over losing years of messages.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Every time I check icloud on my iphone it still has the same 10 conversations uploaded and hasn't added a single other one since the first day which was a week ago. And it's still showing the same problems listing memory used on all the screens which tells me the whole thing still has major bugs to works out: On my iphone I go to settings:AppleID:iCloud:Manage Storage. It says "Messages 920MB". I click "messages" and the next screen says "Conversations - Zero KB". If I go back and forth on the screens a couple times this changes to "Conversations - 250MB". If I click "conversations" it shows the same 10 uploaded conversations from day 1. This hasn't changed. And it never uploaded all the conversations I had on my phone and mac that day. And it never seems to upload any new conversations. Even though I plug in the phone for long periods of time every day. And what about the conversations on my mac which are all the same? Why isn't it uploading those? This new feature definitely has not been rolled out smoothly. Tons of bugs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.