Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivantheipodder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Australia
Does anyone’s 11” iPad Pro have this problem? I put it on mute yet if I put my ear up on any of the four speakers it still makes a really faint sound of whatever’s playing, it’s not absolutely silent which is what mute should be. Tried the YouTube app and the Music app so I don’t think it’s an app issue, more like a speaker calibration thing? Tried with the 10.5” iPad Pro, if I mute it and I play something all I hear is the faint white noise floor which I know is normal. Both are on iOS 12 so I don’t think it’s an iOS bug?

It’s not the really faint white noise floor. It’s the actual audio from whatever I’m playing, on top of it. It’s loud enough to notice in a quiet room if you bring your ear up to it.

Could anyone please test this for me? Thanks.

aiyaaabatt

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
My 12.9 does this too. Can just barely barely hear it though when ear placed on speaker holes. Tested on my iPhone XS and can’t hear anything but some very minor static noise.

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016
There’s another thread on this as well. For me, the sounds seems to be coming from the top right speaker, depending on orientation.

solmaker

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
Happens to me too on my iPad Pro 11" (but not on my old 10.5").

There’s another thread on this as well.

Could you point me to this other thread? I couldn't find it anywhere (aside from similar but different issues from previous years).

solmaker

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
Happens on my iphone xs max too. Its very faint but its there

Huh, just tried it on my iPhone X... playing music on mute from Music and iHeartRadio apps I could hear faint white noise that disappeared when I stopped playback. I couldn't really make out any details of the muted playback, compared to 2018 iPad Pro where it was possible to figure out what I was hearing.

BaddAdvice, thanks for furnishing the link to the other thread! That one only has 2 replies, so I'd say that his one has superseded it.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Just tried it on my 12.9 and couldn’t hear anything. Tried the music app first. Played a song at half way then decreased the volume down to zero.

Couldn’t hear anything out of any of the speakers. Then tried it with YouTube playing a music video. Still couldn’t hear a thing on silence.

Edit... nevermind I can hear it now, really got to get up close though

sookainian

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2008
Singapore
Just tried and notice this too. Mute and if I put my ear at the speaker hole can hear some sound on all 4 speaker.

Any update whether is this a software or hardware issue ?

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016
I can not see this being an issue at all.
What? Can you speak up? I can’t hear you over the sound of my iPad on mute! ;)

Yeah, most likely a non-issue, but curious nonetheless. I wonder why this is happening? I’m assuming it’s a software thing more than a hardware thing.

Next up, someone will link this “issue” to the floppy volume buttons......

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.