Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’ve thought about it. Next spring, new models (rumored)…my solution: I’ll probably get both. The mini for day travels, the Pro at home.
Yeah, it is a good solution. If I were you, I’d probably wait not only for the new OLEd iPad Pro, but also for the seventh gen iPad mini, because the current one with only 4GB of RAM… I mean, today 4GB are plenty, but in the long run, for iPadOS, probably 4GB won’t be plenty, and I really hope Apple starts using 6GB of RAM on next iPad mini.

However, my case is not the same. I need to stick with the M2 model -unfortunately- because I highly doubt my eyes can tolerate the OLED screen. That’s why I got the latest iPad Pro that will ever ship with an LCD display, the M2, and I’m trying to sell this 128GB model and purchase a 256GB one, because I know that this will be the last iPad Pro I’m going to be able to use. If the iPad Air gets the M4 chip and it is still using good quality LCD displays, then I’ll probably jump to that one.

As for the iPad mini, being the OP who opened the thread with this question, I’m more and more convinced each day that the 11” size, while not being 100% perfect for everything, in my case it is the size that best suits all my needs. Sure, the mini is a lot more portable, lighter and comfortable to read, but I suspect the screen size would be too small and compromised to watch videos/movies, work with files (I mean, with the Files app), and of course, jumping to an iPad mini would leave me without an external monitor support, which at first I didn’t mind, but over time I’m appreciating more and more.

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
I don’t know if someone has made this transition, but I sometimes think about replacing my 11” M2 iPad Pro for a mini. A next gen iPad mini 7 anyway.

Sometimes I feel this iPad a bit too big and clunky, and I still think the 10” would be the ideal size. However, Apple only offers 11” devices, and the only one that is smaller, is the 8.3” iPad mini.

Sure, the mini is much more portable, that’s what I like about it. And lighter, I’m all about light devices. The lack of keyboard doesn’t bother me anymore because I no longer use an external keyboard on my 11”, I always use the on-screen keyboard (right now I’m writi from it). But… at the same time, I don’t think I could be typing comfortably on an iPad mini on my lap, resting on the thigh of my crossed leg. Because the mini would be too small to type in this position.

I don’t know, sometimes I appreciate the crispness and sharpness and smoothness of this 120Hz display, and I can use the extra space. But I know that, when it comes to holding it on my hand, it would be much more comfortable the mini. Also to surf the web on the coach, etc.

I bought this M2 iPad Pro with the intention of doing uni stuff, but NOT for taking handwritten notes with the pencil, but rather working with textbooks in PDF, studying, and having a laptop-like device, but I’m not fully using it for that. Also, when I replace my 2014 Mac mini for a new M3 or M4 Mac, I expect the iPad to be my secondary display with sidecar, or just a companion device to use along my Mac thanks to universal control. And for those things, the 11” iPad Pro offers a superior experience with the bigger display. Also, YouTube videos look gorgeous here, although I don’t watch movies on the iPad, just YouTube videos. The 8GB of RAM that the M2 offers are really great for multi-tasking, this M2 iPad Pro feels faster than my previous 2018 iPad Pro which only had 4GB of RAM.

So… I’m a bit confused about what I’ll do in the future, keep the M2, or sell it when the iPad Mini 7 is released, and get one of those. What I do clearly know, is that I am absolutely not going to have two iPads. That’s the only thing I know for sure.

The screen would be the biggest bust for me, the 11 has a great screen with fast refresh rate, something you dont see on the mini or even low end macbook pro (13 inch).

I think the ipad pro will have a longer life, and have a larger resale value when you decided to move on. To me these are big selling points.

Reactions: Populus

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Thanks for bumping this thread I created some time ago, @JSENNY25 , because this morning I had some thoughts regarding this, while commuting on the bus.

I was sat on the bus, and I wanted to type some text. I put the iPad Pro in landscape, with the case folded behind the top, to give it some inclination. Put it on my lap, and started to type. This, for instance wouldn’t have been possible with an iPad mini, because it would be so small that it would fall between my legs. It has been a moment when I’ve thought “wow, I’m so glad to have an 11” iPad”. And… It hasn’t been the first or the second time I have that thought.
good to know! I am terribly thankful that I an in a position to pose these types ok questions, because at the end the day, 'need' is very subjective.... I think I may ride out my iPad Pro 11 inch from 2018 until it slows down too much or stops supporting the latest iOS.

Once that happens, I will be able to assess if the 'new' mini catches up to the rest of the pack in terms of screen and processor power. Then I will have a decision on my hands lol.

Reactions: Populus

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
Different experience for me - I feel the Mini 6 is a lot more advantageous than my 14 Pro Max.

Exactly. I don’t see how anyone can say a iPhone Max is close to a Mini 6. I just had a 15 Pro Max that I compared to the Mini before returning and there was a big difference in what’s displayed. Additionally there’s no way I can use the Max in landscape but I use the Mini quite often in landscape.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
You now what? I’ll grab one and give it a try. The lack of external monitor support is a bit sad, but not something I absolutely need.

Experimenting with this size, and trying to use it with a keyboard and a mouse, may be interesting… and I can always return it.

Reactions: ericwn

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
You now what? I’ll grab one and give it a try. The lack of external monitor support is a bit sad, but not something I absolutely need.

Experimenting with this size, and trying to use it with a keyboard and a mouse, may be interesting… and I can always return it.

Yeah, your own experience is what counts, not ours.

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
I do not leave the house without the mini 6, which fits well in the side and back pockets of cargo pants, it is my primary device for reading books, internet, paying bills. The 11 inch IPP is a little more challenging to hold upward when laying down and does not hold well in one hand. After Apple credits my two M1 mac minis I'll purchase the M1 12.9 $890 refurbished through Apple. The iPadOS 16.2 external monitor support is a valued feature.

Reactions: xxFoxtail

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
When the new one gets released, buy it and test it during the return window and make an informed decision after testing with your use case.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
iPhone Max is a compromise - too big and heavy for a phone and too small as iPad replacement.
The Mini 6 is great device, and i’ve been using it on a daily basis at home. My only regret is not getting the mobile version.

That been said, only you can decide if it will work for your needs.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
iPhone Max is a compromise - too big and heavy for a phone and too small as iPad replacement.
The Mini 6 is great device, and i’ve been using it on a daily basis at home. My only regret is not getting the mobile version.

That been said, only you can decide if it will work for your needs.

I don't think a Max is too big and heavy for most people. Even the largest cell phone is still small, and the slight size increase is negligible.

• Haha
Reactions: geta and sparksd

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
You have to figure out if you can live with just the small screen; that's not something anyone else can tell you. I could not - I have a Mini 6 and an M1 12.9.
I tried making that transition, and it didn’t work for me. The Mini 6 is great for content consumption, email and minor editing tasks (especially PDFs) and gaming. But, despite what certain YouTubers claim, it fails when it comes to productivity and multitasking because of the small screen size and UI (I had to increase the text size 2 steps to make it usable, and even with this the widgets remain nearly unreadable).

But why does the Mini 6 to “replace” your 11 inch Pro? Consider keeping both for different use cases and scenarios. Like many on this forum I own both a Mini 6 and a 12.9 Pro, and for me there is no overlap or duplication.

Last edited:

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I don't think a Max is too big and heavy for most people. Even the largest cell phone is still small, and the slight size increase is negligible.
The 14 Pro Max felt like a handheld tank to me. I was so relieved when Apple reduced the weight of the 15PM by switching from stainless steel to titanium.

Last edited:

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I do not leave the house without the mini 6, which fits well in the side and back pockets of cargo pants, it is my primary device for reading books, internet, paying bills. The 11 inch IPP is a little more challenging to hold upward when laying down and does not hold well in one hand. After Apple credits my two M1 mac minis I'll purchase the M1 12.9 $890 refurbished through Apple. The iPadOS 16.2 external monitor support is a valued feature.
I'm hoping the next iPad mini has that external monitor support. I'd love to have that little iPad as my main computer and be able to dock it to my desk setup. I've been reading a lot more eBooks lately, neither my MacBook Air or 14 Pro are ideal for it. If the Mini 6 wasn't so old already, I probably would have bought one.

I was using the M1 12.9" iPP for a while, that's also a good main computer if you don't need a Mac. Doesn't make the best tablet though, too large in my opinion.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I’ve got both and easily use my 11” iPP way more. The mini’s screen is clearly inferior and laggier. I don’t even think the 11” is that much less portable.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Maybe? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I started with iPad Pro 12.9, bought a mini 6 to “supplement” it, used the iPad Pro less & less to the point that I sold it.

That said, >my< purpose for the 12.9 was as a laptop replacement. While it had some success at that it wasn’t complete; I’d gotten a new MacBook Pro.

Kaikidan

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2017
I really want a mini pro, because I love the size of it but also need the RAM and in a smaller degree the cpu power, My 1st gen pro 11 currently is having trouble running clipstudio, always running out of memory and crashing.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It depends. I have both the mini 6 and the 11 inch pro. Out of the two I prefer the mini hands down. It’s more ergonomic and the one I take when I’m leaving the house. The pro is fine for using at home when I’m sitting down. However due to its size and weight I find the only way to use it comfortably is when I’m sitting down and it has to be attached to the Magic Keyboard to aid in navigation and typing. I wouldn’t take the pro out with me. It’s far too big and unwieldy for that. Having said that if I could only have one I’d choose the pro and just use my phone when outside of the house. The pro is more versatile for me because I can use it more comfortably to read and edit documents, reading comics or for colouring.

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have the 11” Pro. Earlier this year, I bought the Mini 6 as it was on sale at the time. I WFH, so the Pro was mounted on the Magic Keyboard and used during the day as essentially a laptop (since it takes up less space on my desk than my MBP). The Mini 6 was used after I was done work and brought it downstairs with me for light web browsing and social media. It alleviated the reliance on my 14 Pro. However, when I traveled, I took the Pro with me and always left the Mini at home. Ultimately, I ended up selling the Mini and now just use the Pro in tandem with my 15 Pro. I love the screen and size of the Pro, but the easier portability of the Mini was fantastic.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
.....The (11 inch) pro is fine for using at home when I’m sitting down. However due to its size and weight I find the only way to use it comfortably is when I’m sitting down and it has to be attached to the Magic Keyboard to aid in navigation and typing. I wouldn’t take the pro out with me. It’s far too big and unwieldy for that.......
Interesting. These are my exact complaints about the 12.9 inch Pro. So much so that I'm considering downsizing to the 11 inch Pro when the new models are released in the spring.
Just proves that all size-perception is relative.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Interesting. These are my exact complaints about the 12.9 inch Pro. So much so that I'm considering downsizing to the 11 inch Pro when the new models are released in the spring.
Just proves that all size-perception is relative.
This is what most people don't get. How you feel about something depends so much on what you were using before. When I go from the 12.9 inch to mini, the mini feels like a kid's toy. My 15 Pro Max these days doesn't feel big at all, but I used to remember wondering how people could carry around 6.7" phones because they felt massive. Perspective is everything.

Reactions: prospervic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.