Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ISignedUpToAskThis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2022
So I've had my M2 MBA for 11 months. The 1 year Apple warranty runs out in a couple of weeks. I had an issue with the MagSafe cable so took my MBA to an Apple Store, who replaced the cable. This was on Wednesday.

Today I noticed there's an option to add AppleCare+ and that I have 8 days left to add (I've attached a screenshot).

Is this a mistake? I know that earlier on you can take your Mac to an Apple store for them to inspect it if you want to add AppleCare+, but I didn't request that. Should I assume that the store have added this option because they've assessed my MBA and everything was OK?

mba.jpg

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
You don’t have Apple Care+, your MBA has a 1 year limited warranty with purchase. You are eligible to purchase AC+ within the year.
Should I assume that the store have added this option because they've assessed my MBA and everything was OK?
Yes.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Interesting. I think I had to commit within 60 days after purchasing the M2. Mind you, this was for 3 yrs so I'm assuming your invite to insure is for an annual cycle?

ab22

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
So I've had my M2 MBA for 11 months. The 1 year Apple warranty runs out in a couple of weeks. I had an issue with the MagSafe cable so took my MBA to an Apple Store, who replaced the cable. This was on Wednesday.

Today I noticed there's an option to add AppleCare+ and that I have 8 days left to add (I've attached a screenshot).

Is this a mistake? I know that earlier on you can take your Mac to an Apple store for them to inspect it if you want to add AppleCare+, but I didn't request that. Should I assume that the store have added this option because they've assessed my MBA and everything was OK?

View attachment 2352396

ISignedUpToAskThis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2022
You don’t have Apple Care+, your MBA has a 1 year limited warranty with purchase. You are eligible to purchase AC+ within the year.

Yes.
I don't see where in my OP I suggested I had AppleCare+?

The reason I posted is because normally users don't have the entire year to purchase AC+, it normally stops offering it after the first 60 days, which is why it was unusual to see it offered to me after 11 months.

As others have confirmed, it seems Apple will give a second chance to customers if they inspect the device at an Apple store.

ISignedUpToAskThis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2022
Interesting. I think I had to commit within 60 days after purchasing the M2. Mind you, this was for 3 yrs so I'm assuming your invite to insure is for an annual cycle?
Nope, it'll let me buy an entire 3 year's worth of AC+...

I would snap their hand off but I'm about to sell it.

All I did was:

1. Book a Genius Bar appointment as the MagSafe cable was intermittently charging/not charging
2. The staff member reset my MBA, and then ran some kind of diagnostics tool that checked every component was working properly
3. Staff member said it wasn't charging correctly due to some chip issue relating to not shutting down the MBA often (I always just close the lid)
4. She did some kind of system flush that reset something, and ordered me a replacement MagSafe cable just to be safe
5. Next day, I see the option to add AC+

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 03.11.05.png

Last edited:
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Nope, it'll let me buy an entire 3 year's worth of AC+...

I would snap their hand off but I'm about to sell it.

All I day was:

1. Book a Genius Bar appointment as the MagSafe cable was intermittently charging/not charging
2. The staff member reset my MBA, and then ran some kind of diagnostics tool that checked every component was working properly
3. Staff member said it wasn't charging correctly due to some chip issue relating to not shutting down the MBA often (I always just close the lid)
4. She did some kind of system flush that reset something, and ordered me a replacement MagSafe cable just to be safe
5. Next day, I see the option to add AC+

View attachment 2352468
Ok. Thanks for explaining, I wasn't aware 3 yr coverage could be purchased just prior to the normal factory warranty expiring . I do remember this is how the old Apple Care used to work. Matter of fact they made a point of it that I only had 60 or less days after purchase to do it with the M2. Perhaps it varies by country but with laptops and desktops it was all unified globally I had thought.

Upgrading after the sale?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.