Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrostLK8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2019
Hello everyone,

I know most of you must be sick of the topic by now, but I really do have an issue with the incredibly yellow/green tint on my 11 Pro Max. I bought the phone to take some Photoshop/Mac workload off my shoulders and simplify things for me, and now I have a $1,500 piece of hardware that's completely useless for color editing because if I edit colors on it, 99% of my clients would end up seeing a completely different thing on their LCD, IPS and more balanced OLED screens. In other words, I can't trust what I see on my screen vs. what almost everyone else will be seeing on theirs (and I did physically compare my OLED to other OLEDs from Apple, Samsung and Huawei).

I'm attaching a photo below of mine compared to a display model 11 Pro at a large local mobile company.
There's no Apple Store where I currently reside, so I need to send it to a different country (to a regional centre) in order for Apple to replace it. I've spoken to Apple chat support already and they told me that based on the photos and what I've told them, full unit replacement is pretty much the only option. But as many of you have already noted, it's a coin toss on whether or not that replacement will look any better. That said, I've seen quite a few 11 Pros with okay screens and no yellow/green tints (they were rather the usual blue/purple), but I've only seen 2 other Pro Max and they were similar.

My general idea was to set a Genius Bar appointment with my existing case number and include the specific issue and images into the appointment so hopefully the staff can have a look at whatever they have on hand prior to that appointment and select the least yellow screen they can find. I thought I'd give it to a friend to drop at the store and pick up a new one, it's simpler than sending it by post.

For reference, TT off, Auto Brightness Off, Brightness set to Max, Night Mode off, Color Filters Off.

TL;DR

My question is: has anyone managed to actually get a more balanced looking display out of a replacement for an 11 Pro Max?

Attachments

• IMG_0448b.jpg
    IMG_0448b.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 5,916

FrostLK8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2019
Believe it or not, yes. Left side is my 11 Pro Max, right side is an 11 Pro.
And it's not like it's a special display model or anything, I've seen a few other 11 Pros with this same sort of screen out of the box (just not the Pro Max, so far, because I haven't seen that many).

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Whatever device you have, 99% of your clients are going to see something different. That’s the nature of uncalibrated screens.

FrostLK8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2019
Whatever device you have, 99% of your clients are going to see something different. That’s the nature of uncalibrated screens.

Of course, of course. But there's an absolutely massive difference between 90% of the screens on the computer/laptop/tablet/phone market which by default look purple-blue ("white") and this one, which has such a yellow-green tint that colors look closer between an XS Max & a 6 than they do between an 11 Pro Max & an X. It's a huge difference.

So I put the 11 Pro Max next to a 7 year old Macbook, 2019 Macbook, 2 x 2019 iPad Pros, a 6Plus, an X and an XS. Guess what the single largest outlier was, by far - the 2019 Max.

But back to the question though...

Has anyone managed to get a different (not greenish or yellowish) screen?

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
This issue was noted extensively on the Xs/XsMax last year also. Imo, these displays are defective. They are calibrated incorrectly at factory level which i consider a defect out of box. I personally went through 3 Max’s to find one that I would consider normal (white/cool) It saddens me to see it still occurring on the 11 models.

There are those here who will say it’s ‘normal’ and warm tones fall within display tolerance markers but the majority out there are NOT and have an acceptable cool shift where white appears white. Apple are pulling a fast one with these offensive displays imo and hoping/presuming folk will accept them as just the way of things. These particular devices shouldn’t be leaving quality control inspections like this. Those here who agree with apples normal claim and continue to deny this is defective are only helping apple to remain ignorant of QC issues.

Being accepting of mediocrity at this price point, because we think it’s apple and apple surely know what their doing helps no one and only encourages manufacturing complacency imo.

There are non yellowing ‘normal’ displays on apple shelves. I wish everyone would not stop until they find one and refuse these subpar excuses. Let apple correlate what’s in their sin bin and finally get the picture that they are hideous examples of what is acceptable or normal for a smartphone display, and hopefully the volume of returns will force/persuade them to address this calibration inconsistency for future displays.

Last edited:
Reactions: thabet and jimmy_uk

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Of course, of course. But there's an absolutely massive difference between 90% of the screens on the computer/laptop/tablet/phone market which by default look purple-blue ("white") and this one, which has such a yellow-green tint that colors look closer between an XS Max & a 6 than they do between an 11 Pro Max & an X. It's a huge difference.

So I put the 11 Pro Max next to a 7 year old Macbook, 2019 Macbook, 2 x 2019 iPad Pros, a 6Plus, an X and an XS. Guess what the single largest outlier was, by far - the 2019 Max.

But back to the question though...

Has anyone managed to get a different (not greenish or yellowish) screen?
Yes, I returned two Pro Max due to the first being yellow and 2nd having poor uniformity and pink hue at a slight angle. My current one is not yellow and is otherwise perfect.

My girlfriend’s Pro Max is uneven and yellower toward the top half of screen but she doesn’t notice and I didn’t tell her. Ignorance is bliss.

It’s a total lottery, sadly. Sure you could get a better replacement. But what if you don’t? Sounds like returning / exchanging is very difficult for you. My opinion for what it’s worth, return it and get a regular 11 with the LCD display. If you’re OK with no telephoto. The screens are much more consistent and cooler white, and may be easier for your use / needs?

Not an ideal solution I know. But this is the sad state we are in re: Apple’s terrible QC and display variance.

FrostLK8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2019
Is the Color Temperature slider adjusted differently between the two?

Not sure if this is an allusion to a lack of one... :p Yeah, sadly.
But if you actually mean the slider for Night Shift, they were both set to the far left and well, Night Shift was off anyway.

This issue was noted extensively on the Xs/XsMax last year also. Imo, these displays are defective. They are calibrated incorrectly at factory level which i consider a defect out of box. I personally went through 3 Max’s to find one that I would consider normal (white/cool) It saddens me to see it still occurring on the 11 models.

I don't really know what to say, I got a bit blindsided with this one. Their computers are pretty great, I've done so much productive work on mine in the past few years it's ridiculous. I was kind of expecting to be able to do the same thing (in a much smaller way) on the phone.
I wouldn't have bought it otherwise, since other than quick color fiddling on photos and videos the only function I need it to perform is, well, calling (and for that even a Nokia 3310 would have been fine, LOL).

Yes, I returned two Pro Max due to the first being yellow and 2nd having poor uniformity and pink hue at a slight angle. My current one is not yellow and is otherwise perfect.

My girlfriend’s Pro Max is uneven and yellower toward the top half of screen but she doesn’t notice and I didn’t tell her. Ignorance is bliss.

It’s a total lottery, sadly. Sure you could get a better replacement. But what if you don’t? Sounds like returning / exchanging is very difficult for you. My opinion for what it’s worth, return it and get a regular 11 with the LCD display. If you’re OK with no telephoto. The screens are much more consistent and cooler white, and may be easier for your use / needs?

Not an ideal solution I know. But this is the sad state we are in re: Apple’s terrible QC and display variance.

Thank you for that!

So there is some hope at least. I would try to get the store employees to see if they have enough refurbished units to compare them side by side and to be able to get one with a more neutral tone. Someone posted a truly neutral looking screen - camera and monitor differences notwithstanding - in the "Is the 11 Max yellowish" thread the other day. It was next to 3 other units, 2 of which looked yellow and 1 red/pink.

It's a bit ridiculous to buy a shiny new phone and then need to replace it with a refurbished unit less than a week later... But since there's no Apple store here, and consequently no 2 week refund period either, it's pretty much my only option.
And I do now wish I could go with the 11, but unfortunately I really need the telephoto and also, I'm not going to be getting a refund since I bought it from a reseller (so I'll only be able to exchange for another 11 Pro Max at Apple, rather than get a refund and try buying again). The telephoto thing is even solvable with an external lens but having to downgrade and losing a few hundred due to a really strangely made display kind of sucks...

Reactions: Harthag
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.