Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
You're taking my comments and making them a general use case. Video editing is one pro use case that can be very demanding.

From what I have seen in some different benchmark use cases the m1 will beat out intel based laptops, maybe with speed/performance, but certainly with battery life. This may not be true across the board 100%, but it's hard to argue the m1 for many, provides a bump in usability due to speed and battery life.

Take a system board with high end off-the shelf components, latest generation (pci-4), fast memory, lots of cores, big cooling, big power supply etc., these systems will win in certain workloads. And who knows if whatever Apple has up it's sleeve with the "m1x/m2/m2x" will be able to ever beat these types of systems. We won't know until it gets there.
For some, sure. But again, they are marketing it to people stating it is faster than 99 percent of windows laptops. which it is NOT. they claim better battery life by up to 2x against 99 percent of windows based laptops, again NOT true. not even close. There are many windows based laptops that get more than 13 hrs battery life. There are many that dont' but to claim what apple are claiming with the M1 is false advertising.

Again, M1 is not the be all end all system apple claims it to be, I am just pointing that out. WHOEVER's use case it is. I know I for one have no use for it and xps laptops are faster and get almost as good battery life, within an hr of the m1 so really, it's a no brainer.

I don't use benchmarks as the compnay can manipulate the software to do what it wants. I use real world use. Like the numbers I posted above. i guy takes the same project. Runs the project on the same software on each computer, and comes up with a result. When the result is not to a certain groups liking the excuses start. I.E. M1 being slower than what has been claimed. Real world use. NOT BENCHMARKS. Benchmarks have no weight. There are even benchmark results that have the xps 13 being faster than the M1 in single core usage. but I don't even post that because it's synthetic, not a real world use number.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
For some, sure. But again, they are marketing it to people stating it is faster than 99 percent of windows laptops. which it is NOT. they claim better battery life by up to 2x against 99 percent of windows based laptops, again NOT true. not even close. There are many windows based laptops that get more than 13 hrs battery life. There are many that dont' but to claim what apple are claiming with the M1 is false advertising.

Again, M1 is not the be all end all system apple claims it to be, I am just pointing that out. WHOEVER's use case it is. I know I for one have no use for it and xps laptops are faster and get almost as good battery life, within an hr of the m1 so really, it's a no brainer.

I don't use benchmarks as the compnay can manipulate the software to do what it wants. I use real world use. Like the numbers I posted above. i guy takes the same project. Runs the project on the same software on each computer, and comes up with a result. When the result is not to a certain groups liking the excuses start. I.E. M1 being slower than what has been claimed. Real world use. NOT BENCHMARKS. Benchmarks have no weight. There are even benchmark results that have the xps 13 being faster than the M1 in single core usage. but I don't even post that because it's synthetic, not a real world use number.
I'm not convinced Apple's marketing is off the mark. Measuring performance and battery life depends on configuration (memory, processor, etc), use cases, screen size, screen resolution and battery size.

I agree there are many windows laptops can get more than 13 hours of battery life, but that depends on what the workload is, what resolution, is the processor gimped due to power management, etc.

All of this is a general statement...things that we already know...but none of this invalidates Apples' claim. There's even this review that (more or less) bolsters Apples' claim.

So I wouldn't go so far to say that Apple is hyper-marketing the m1.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013

Name just one laptop that has battery nearly as good as M1 MBP/MBA, and is as powerful.
Now, I'm not defending Apple at all. I moved away. But you make it seem like M1 is nothing special. But it is. It's a first gen CPU that uses less TDP, so less heat, has great battery life, and great performance.

I would buy something like MBA M1 in a heartbeat if I could easily install Linux on it.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
The entire xps lineup comes in at over 10 hrs battery life and most times gets 13 plus, trashes the M1 in multicore applications, and is pretty well the same at single core. that's just one manufacturer, All the major player have the same thing. Apples marketing is way off their claims. Whether you choose to believe them or not that's your problem.

The M1 is not some magic chip from lucky charms land.

thedocbwarren

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2017
San Francisco, CA
What exactly is the argument or is this just silliness.? Real world means a lot of different things. I compile a lot of code and work with a lot of different use cases. I own an M1 13 MBP and a 16" Intel MBP. In every single use case my M1 out performs. Every...single...one. Does that mean that's true for everyone else? No.

If anyone wants to buy a Windows laptop, please feel free. If you want to use a Mac and considering other options, fine as well. I don't understand the hostility. Seems the same stale argument recycled from the "Apple is dead because they dumped Nvidia."

Fact is Apple moved on and will likely not use these chips. It's ok to get another platform if the desire is to use these.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The entire xps lineup comes in at over 10 hrs battery life and most times gets 13 plus, trashes the M1 in multicore applications, and is pretty well the same at single core. that's just one manufacturer, All the major player have the same thing. Apples marketing is way off their claims. Whether you choose to believe them or not that's your problem.

As a blanket statement the above is not true. It depends on the choice of battery, smaller or larger, type of display, and type of workload. If you are claiming all Dell XPS laptops will get 13 or so hours under the most conservative battery life, not doing any useful work, I would agree.

Reactions: thedocbwarren

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013

I've used Dell XPS 15", newest model. For the life of me I couldn't get 8 hours out of that device by just surfing the web, watching youtube, some casual use. And it was a FHD version.

Also, you forget to mention, Windows laptops have lower performance when not plugged in. Macs don't reduce performance.

Since you say 'entire xps lineup' I really have to disagree with you on this one. Especially because the entire lineup would mean those 4K+ versions as well. And it's not coming from some benchmarks or youtube videos, but from personal experience. Also, XPS 15" heats up easily, and you can easily hear the fans with youtube on.

It's not even a contest when batter life is in question.

thedocbwarren

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2017
San Francisco, CA
I've used Dell XPS 15", newest model. For the life of me I couldn't get 8 hours out of that device by just surfing the web, watching youtube, some casual use. And it was a FHD version.

Also, you forget to mention, Windows laptops have lower performance when not plugged in. Macs don't reduce performance.

Since you say 'entire xps lineup' I really have to disagree with you on this one. Especially because the entire lineup would mean those 4K+ versions as well. And it's not coming from some benchmarks or youtube videos, but from personal experience. Also, XPS 15" heats up easily, and you can easily hear the fans with youtube on.

It's not even a contest when batter life is in question.
My dad has a lot of Dell systems and I can tell you performance is no where close as well as battery life. I have a low-end Inspiron that gets terrible battery life for a dual core system.

End of the day I personally have not seen anything match the MBP 13 M1. All the pro-Intel hostility honestly seems like jealousy or some form of buyers remorse.

Yes I find a thing here and there that runs less performant due to Rosetta 2 or Windows Arm, but as soon as I get native, all bets off. In most cases even the Rosetta translated apps run faster than my 16. Again, it works for me and I love the ARM platform. Looking forward to what Apple is releasing next.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
My dad has a lot of Dell systems and I can tell you performance is no where close as well as battery life. I have a low-end Inspiron that gets terrible battery life for a dual core system.

End of the day I personally have not seen anything match the MBP 13 M1. All the pro-Intel hostility honestly seems like jealousy or some form of buyers remorse.

Yes I find a thing here and there that runs less performant due to Rosetta 2 or Windows Arm, but as soon as I get native, all bets off. In most cases even the Rosetta translated apps run faster than my 16. Again, it works for me and I love the ARM platform. Looking forward to what Apple is releasing next.
Yeah.....NO. no jealousy here. I have a mid range inspiron and I get 8 hrs doing moderate work on my device. I know of PLENTY of xps notebooks that pull better than 13 hrs doing the same jobs. The cult of apple is almost like the cult of orange clown. No matter what nonsense is said, it's taken as gospel. NO jealously here my friend. I could buy an apple device if I want. I choose not to as 1, the claims are bogus from apple, and 2. I don't like MacOS.

thedocbwarren

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Yeah.....NO. no jealousy here. I have a mid range inspiron and I get 8 hrs doing moderate work on my device. I know of PLENTY of xps notebooks that pull better than 13 hrs doing the same jobs. The cult of apple is almost like the cult of orange clown. No matter what nonsense is said, it's taken as gospel. NO jealously here my friend. I could buy an apple device if I want. I choose not to as 1, the claims are bogus from apple, and 2. I don't like MacOS.
I appreciate your choice for what you prefer. What I'm mainly targeting is why is there an argument on a Mac site about why someone does not like Macs. I thin kit's possible to find many ways for something to beat another with preference, use case, etc. Choice is great, cool, and necessary. I don't hate PCs nor think they really are in the same market. I love macOS. Frankly, I didn't like it all that much till the Unix switch. I really prefer Unix more than anything and enjoy the fact the Mac is the best Unix desktop environment out there (again my opinion.) Ubuntu is not too bad. There I go again, my preference. I dislike Windows greatly. I'm unimpressed with WSDL and I prefer a more profession dev environment.

I write a lot of software and build platforms. Macs are fantastic for development. I love the iOS platform, again, need a Mac for dev.

As it stands I was evaluating building a final Intel box with the i9 11900k. I don't think I'll do that given how it's reviewing and I'm not sure I'd get the value I want from it. I might have thought different had I not bought the M1. I was also happy with the 16 even given the major heat problems... until I got the M1.

Oh, and btw... "cult of orange clown," That is solidly funny and I laughed out loud from the visual.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I appreciate your choice for what you prefer. What I'm mainly targeting is why is there an argument on a Mac site about why someone does not like Macs. I thin kit's possible to find many ways for something to beat another with preference, use case, etc. Choice is great, cool, and necessary. I don't hate PCs nor think they really are in the same market. I love macOS. Frankly, I didn't like it all that much till the Unix switch. I really prefer Unix more than anything and enjoy the fact the Mac is the best Unix desktop environment out there (again my opinion.) Ubuntu is not too bad. There I go again, my preference. I dislike Windows greatly. I'm unimpressed with WSDL and I prefer a more profession dev environment.

I write a lot of software and build platforms. Macs are fantastic for development. I love the iOS platform, again, need a Mac for dev.

As it stands I was evaluating building a final Intel box with the i9 11900k. I don't think I'll do that given how it's reviewing and I'm not sure I'd get the value I want from it. I might have thought different had I not bought the M1. I was also happy with the 16 even given the major heat problems... until I got the M1.

Oh, and btw... "cult of orange clown," That is solidly funny and I laughed out loud from the visual.
I don't "HATE" mac either. I like this site actually and to be able to come here and talk PC because pretty well every other PC based website is pretty well dead. Oh yes. He's quite the spectacle for sure. For sure if you need to dev. for iOS there is no other choice than a mac. The walled garden made sure of that one.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The i9-11900 is a great chip.

The best feature it has is in lowering the price of the i9-10900. $379 now I guess. I could be persuaded at $300.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This concept of a battery life is a bit amorphous. My iphone lasts me a logical day. That doesn't mean the phone is on playing youtube videos for 15 hours straight. It means I can use the phone in my normal manner and don't have to worry about charging it for 15 hours elapsed time. Apple has a definition on it's website of what it means by battery life.

With windows pcs, battery life is dependent on many factors including, chip, battery size, memory size, screen size, screen type, workload, screen on time. Posting your battery lasts 8 hours is meaningless in comparison to the m1 unless the exact same workload is performed with a similar size battery. You may have the model with the smallest screen, largest battery and lowest chip (i3). For the same workload, that would have more battery capacity than a 4k oled, i9 with the smaller battery.

Until someone measures the battery life of an m1 with a dell xps in a measured manner in different hardware configurations no real comparison can be made. Now you might be happy with the battery life of your Dell, given your use case and that is great. That's not the conversation however.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.