Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James Nighthawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
London
Ello lovely forumites! A simple (I hope) question!

I am on the IUP.

I wish to grab my shiny new iPhone 11 in store on Friday 27th.

My 11th payment for my iPhone XR is due on the 31st September. This is the next working day to Friday 27th.

I am hoping to pay my 11th payment on the 27th in cash, in store, to get me up to the eligible amount to start the next cycle.

My concern is - because it is only one working day before the next Direct Debit payment, I will end up paying *another* payment on the 31st.

I spoke with Barclays just now. I didn’t get the most helpful phone operator. He simply said that so long as I have paid 11 payments, I am eligible to upgrade. And, that if I am concerned, I should cancel my DD once I upgrade on Friday 27th. I am pretty sure companies do NOT like you cancelling DDs your side, and I am worried about it affecting my credit rating.

Has anyone else had experience with upgrading super close to their 11th payment date? It can't be uncommon (especially this year – as the iPhone XR launched 11 months ago!!)

Thanks in advance

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Make the payment through citizens one. They handle the loan for the IUP. Barclay is used for full purchases like when I bought a mini and ipad last year and wanted 0% financing. Unless the financing for the IUP is different in different countries.
But either way I don't think you can make that payment in store as apple doesn't hold the loan.

Reactions: CMoore515

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Ello lovely forumites! A simple (I hope) question!

I am on the IUP.

I wish to grab my shiny new iPhone 11 in store on Friday 27th.

My 11th payment for my iPhone XR is due on the 31st September. This is the next working day to Friday 27th.

I am hoping to pay my 11th payment on the 27th in cash, in store, to get me up to the eligible amount to start the next cycle.

My concern is - because it is only one working day before the next Direct Debit payment, I will end up paying *another* payment on the 31st.

I spoke with Barclays just now. I didn’t get the most helpful phone operator. He simply said that so long as I have paid 11 payments, I am eligible to upgrade. And, that if I am concerned, I should cancel my DD once I upgrade on Friday 27th. I am pretty sure companies do NOT like you cancelling DDs your side, and I am worried about it affecting my credit rating.

Has anyone else had experience with upgrading super close to their 11th payment date? It can't be uncommon (especially this year – as the iPhone XR launched 11 months ago!!)

Thanks in advance
Hmmm. not sure how that works in the UK. But in the U.S even if you had made 6 month payment and be eligible for IUP again, you can upgrade and they will make you pay the remaining 6 payments at check out. So I would assume the same? So I"m sure they will charge you the 11th payment, but I'm not sure if they would accept cash?

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
They will most likely charge you the payment amount and then refund it later. That's what happened to me last year.

IUP is IUP. If Apple/Citizens say you can upgrade, then you can upgrade.

Reactions: James Nighthawk

James Nighthawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
London
They will most likely charge you the payment amount and then refund it later. That's what happened to me last year.

IUP is IUP. If Apple/Citizens say you can upgrade, then you can upgrade.

Ah cool. I don't mind the payment going out so long as it gets refunded within a couple of months.
I'm in the UK, so it is with Barclays Finance here.

Guess I'll just have to see come next week! :)
Thanks!

Reactions: jbachandouris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.