Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
I am all about it. The reason PPCMC7 is currently soo big is mostly caused by 2 things. The FFmpeg/FFplay/FFprobe are static fat binaries for arch ppc, arch ppc 750, arch ppc 7400, and arch ppc7450 in the ppc version releases. Also git is just a massive tool at around 400MBs stripped.

Oh wow, impressive. How do you compile for multiple ppc versions?

Reactions: alex_free

whiskersld

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2020
Another thing to hold in consideration:

SL-PPC in most hardware environments (i.e., all the non-PCIe models) can’t really use VLC for playback, as doing so requires hardware Core Image and Quartz Extreme support. I have never tried FFplay, but if it draws from the same libraries, then it will have problems, too.

On an upside, however, playing mp4 videos in a SL-PPC environment using QuickTime for Leopard 7.7.0 does work pretty well. At least with a 1.67GHz PowerBook, I know I can watch SD MP4s without too much trouble. I don’t know why QT 7.7.0 works when VLC does not, as I’m sure their respective libraries draw from the same basic codec standards.
yeah on g3's ffplay chokes hard, unless you have a 700mhz or higher quicktime is your best friend

• Love

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
hello alex_free, i still use version 6.5 and install it on nearly all compatible commputers,
however lately i am getting very slow downloads around 70kbps, maybe i am blacklisted somehow,
hence the question, if would be possible to use it with yt-dlp instead of youtube-dl (which i updated from the youtube-dl homepage via curl)? have installed yt-dlp via macports and this program gives fast downloads, thanks.
writing from an intel mac running mavericks.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
I have finally, successfully, changed the YouTube-dlp updater to use Curl instead of Git. The secret sauce is to download the hidden URL using Curl, that normally your browser is redirected to when you click the green "Code" button and then the "Download ZIP" button on the https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp page.

Code:
    else if actionChoice is "Download Latest YouTube-dlp" then
        term()
        tell application "Terminal"
            do script "clear;  echo -e \"
\"; echo -e \"
Downloading the latest Youtube-dlp...\"; sleep 1; echo -e \"
\"; export PATH=/Applications/PPCMC.app/bin:$PATH; echo Previous Youtube-dlp version; /Applications/PPCMC.app/bin/python3.6 " & youtube & " --version; rm -rf /Applications/PPCMC.app/bin/yt-dlp-master; rm -rf /Applications/PPCMC.app/bin/update.zip; /Applications/PPCMC.app/bin/curl -L https://codeload.github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/zip/refs/heads/master -o /Applications/PPCMC.app/bin/update.zip; echo Extracting YouTube-dlp...; cd /Applications/PPCMC.app/bin; /Applications/PPCMC.app/bin/unzip -qqo update.zip; rm -rf /Applications/PPCMC.app/bin/update.zip; echo Current Youtube-dlp version; /Applications/PPCMC.app/bin/python3.6 " & youtube & " --version" in w1

end tell

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
hello alex_free, the version of PPC Media Center i use is only 242KB big, but the downloaded version for Tiger+ on Intel i386 is around 722MB? How comes?
Thanks.

EDIT: Version 6.0 that had to be installed prior to Version 6.5 is around 64MB.

Last edited:

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
hello alex_free, the version of PPC Media Center i use is only 242KB big, but the downloaded version for Tiger+ on Intel i386 is around 722MB? How comes?
Thanks.
I believe you are using version 6 which I did not make.

I made version 7.x explicitly include every and all dependency programs within the PPCMC.app so no weird installation instructions would have to be followed by the user. Every version 7.x self contains all dependency programs for the easiest UX.

Currently PPCMC 7 is very large. The next update aims to be much smaller then the last one.

Reactions: netsrot39

mrkapqa

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Italy, Bolzano/Bozen
Thanks, tried out this FFPLAY and heavily impressed; the streaming functions very well, and the forward/rewind better than the MPV Player on much newer Computer; if there be better graphics card for the G4/G5 then it would be ... gonna try if this FFplay also functions on the Intel Mac.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Is PPCMC broken now? I tried live youtube and downloading different YT videos on many settings, H264, m4a, etc, but it doesn't work. Seems like it's also asking for a new version of Python?

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
image.jpg

ediflorianus

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
I can confirm YouTube (YT) still working on G5 , on InterTube or*and TenFiveTube apps.

It took me a very long time to find this topic.(I forgot how it feels to watch yt on a big cinema display already).
InterTube loads like from a handheld droid device the site (so it's more easier on resources).

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2021
I can confirm YouTube (YT) still working on G5 , on InterTube or*and TenFiveTube apps.

It took me a very long time to find this topic.(I forgot how it feels to watch yt on a big cinema display already).
InterTube loads like from a handheld droid device the site (so it's more easier on resources).

For YouTube, I have made a variant for smtube to use QMPlay2, which works nicely on PowerPC. Installable as:

Code:
sudo port -v install smtube +qmplay2

P. S. smtube will not show previews, see: https://github.com/smplayer-dev/smtube/issues/28
Playback works fine though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.