Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Otha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Since updated to macOS 12.3/12.3.1, my MacBook Pro(intel chip) consumes more battery life than pervious version.
I have tried to reset the SMC but it doesn't seems to solve the problem. It really affects my work
any one have seem issue?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Since updated to macOS 12.3/12.3.1, my MacBook Pro(intel chip) consumes more battery life than pervious version.
I have tried to reset the SMC but it doesn't seems to solve the problem. It really affects my work
any one have seem issue?

When did you update? I’ve not noticed any issues like this on either of my MacBooks - M1 and Intel.

Otha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
Have you tried logging in to safe mode and observing the battery life there?

Also try creating a new user and logging into that after.
no I didn't. How long does your intel Mac battery last?

Peacock22

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2018
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) owner here, I have noticed worse battery life since updating to 12.3 (also 12.3.1) as well. Like, much worse overall. It just seems to drink battery even when not doing much. The performance feels the same, but doing the exact same work I usually do, the battery drains about 30% faster than before on 12.2. I noticed that WindowServer and Universal Control use a lot of CPU when moving the mouse cursor around, even though I have Universal Control disabled. You can see it for yourself in Activity Monitor (change View to All Processes) and then constantly move the mouse cursor around and watch the processes.

SMC reset / NVRAM reset didn't help. I feel like something is using more CPU / GPU than it should, or causing an unnecessary frequency boost when not needed.

I don't think this has anything to do with my battery health, I have a fresh battery (replaced top case) with only around 140 cycles on it, and the battery life is fine again when I boot into 12.2.

Reactions: justatom and Otha

Otha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) owner here, I have noticed worse battery life since updating to 12.3 (also 12.3.1) as well. Like, much worse overall. It just seems to drink battery even when not doing much. The performance feels the same, but doing the exact same work I usually do, the battery drains about 30% faster than before on 12.2. I noticed that WindowServer and Universal Control use a lot of CPU when moving the mouse cursor around, even though I have Universal Control disabled. You can see it for yourself in Activity Monitor (change View to All Processes) and then constantly move the mouse cursor around and watch the processes.

SMC reset / NVRAM reset didn't help. I feel like something is using more CPU / GPU than it should, or causing an unnecessary frequency boost when not needed.

I don't think this has anything to do with my battery health, I have a fresh battery (replaced top case) with only around 140 cycles on it, and the battery life is fine again when I boot into 12.2.
hope they can fix it in 12.4

justatom

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2022
The same here. Docker Desktop running the same containers now drains a battery 30-40% more. 14 inch pro max.
Bluetooth issues (now my Sony wh headphones disconnects every 5-10 second), software bugs (LibreOffice). Do they even know what the hell is unit testing, maybe someone shows them how to test properly before pushing to production ****** os version //

Otha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2022
The same here. Docker Desktop running the same containers now drains a battery 30-40% more. 14 inch pro max.
Bluetooth issues (now my Sony wh headphones disconnects every 5-10 second), software bugs (LibreOffice). Do they even know what the hell is unit testing, maybe someone shows them how to test properly before pushing to production ****** os version //
I had same booth issue when connect Beats headphones, Apple support told me to reset Beats than solved in 12.3 version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.