Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitete

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Virginia
(Actually title should have been iOS 12, beta 5) So, I’m very unhappy right now! Last night I tried to open a notification (from Siri suggestion) to activate do not disturb on my phone while I was at a concert. Since then my phone has been bricked and I’ve been unable to restore yet. I’m still working on that but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I’m really hoping to avoid a visit to the “Genius Bar!”

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
(Actually title should have been iOS 12, beta 5) So, I’m very unhappy right now! Last night I tried to open a notification (from Siri suggestion) to activate do not disturb on my phone while I was at a concert. Since then my phone has been bricked and I’ve been unable to restore yet. I’m still working on that but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I’m really hoping to avoid a visit to the “Genius Bar!”
Bring it to Apple store, if they can't fix it, they have to replace it under warranty.

whitete

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Virginia
You have an update? Did you try DFU by chance verses a regular restore?

Sorry forgot to update! So at the Apple store I was able to restore to 11.4.1. Turns out the problem I had restoring was that my PC is too old and slow! Problem now is that I lost everything on my phone and have to start from scratch. No more Beta Testing for me!! As an aside, my Apple store got me in very fast and was very helpful.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Problem now is that I lost everything on my phone and have to start from scratch.

Not quite. The current PB4 is ok and your device should have kept an automatic back-up close to the point when it became unusable. So, hypothetically, you could still install PB4 over the iOS 11.4.1 and then restore everything from that iOS 12 backup. This can be a backup made from any iOS 12 PB (1 to 4).

PS I do not use Siri at all (it is switched off), so perhaps in your case something went really wrong there, as Apple are tweaking Siri shortcuts, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.