Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
Picking up my impulsively purchased Pro tomorrow, passing my Air down to my youngest. Am I going to hate the size jump? I will return it for the 11” if I hate it but I’m just looking for experiences from those who made the jump :) no commentary needed on poor financial decisions, this isn’t a finance forum and I’m free to make questionable geeky choices ;)

I won’t be using a keyboard, I type on the screen and I’m getting better at it. I prefer my iPad to my MBA and iPhone because of the screen size and portability but having the lightest device isn’t too important for me, I don’t think I’ll mind the extra heft. It’s just so nice to sit in my recliner with the iPad and read books, watch media, doomscroll social media etc. I haven’t gotten into any games but I am super open to suggestions for some that will allow me to take full advantage of my device. My all time favorite console game is Skyrim, if that helps. I also like sim builder games and I do play Roller Coaster Tycoon. I have Apple Arcade.

Thanks!

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Save the hate for something that rely deserves it ;).Either you like the larger display or you do not. It is entirely subjective.

Civ VI plays well even on my old 2017 but it is a hefty investment. It is demanding and the larger maps is not recommended. Civ VI is often kicked out of the memory probably due to its size. Occasionally I play XCOM 2 and some old ports of RPG. I think the App Store begins to be fairly well populated with good ports of games, old yes, but still very good. I like the bigger screen size for these strategy games and would not mind a larger than 12.9 iPad to get a better overview of the boards. On principle, I do not play games based on subscription.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
There’s a ton of games but personally I tend to play more on my consoles.
The screen size was easy to get used to, the added weight less so but also not an ultimate deal breaker for me. I enjoy my second 12.9 and am unlikely to go smaller.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Subjective - as @iPadified said. I got 12.9 due to it being a work device and thought it was going to be too big for me - so I was prejudiced not to like it - but I love the size, will not go smaller if possible.

I would recommend getting a controller if you are going to play a few games on it. I have a PS4 controller and it's great, with a screen this size and no fingers obscuring it - it makes a great little gaming form. I play CoD a fair bit on it. If you really want to get the most out of it I highly recommend a keyboard - but I do understand you don't want one.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
I feel like I’m going to love the screen, I just worry that it’ll be extremely different from my current iPad. I look forward to the better quality, everyone says the display is beautiful. I’ve been team big phone since the 6S+ and I will never go smaller so I hope it’s true that once you go big you don’t go back. Now if Best Buy would just fulfill my order already… 😅

Also you guys are much nicer than Reddit 😂 I am poor and I spend all my extra money on Apple because of the fantastic quality of life increases but over there they’re of the opinion that poor people don’t deserve a good quality of life nor should they reproduce 🤷🏻‍♀️ god forbid a lesser person have the same tech as a trust fundie haha

Last edited:

CPmav

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Lexington, KY
My advice is give it a week or so to get used to the size. When I first started using a 12.9 iPad Pro it felt absolutely massive, but after a few days it just felt normal. Don’t make any definitive opinions until you have an opportunity to spend a decent amount of time with it.

Reactions: iPadified

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
Picking up my impulsively purchased Pro tomorrow, passing my Air down to my youngest. Am I going to hate the size jump? I will return it for the 11” if I hate it but I’m just looking for experiences from those who made the jump :) no commentary needed on poor financial decisions, this isn’t a finance forum and I’m free to make questionable geeky choices ;)

I won’t be using a keyboard, I type on the screen and I’m getting better at it. I prefer my iPad to my MBA and iPhone because of the screen size and portability but having the lightest device isn’t too important for me, I don’t think I’ll mind the extra heft. It’s just so nice to sit in my recliner with the iPad and read books, watch media, doomscroll social media etc. I haven’t gotten into any games but I am super open to suggestions for some that will allow me to take full advantage of my device. My all time favorite console game is Skyrim, if that helps. I also like sim builder games and I do play Roller Coaster Tycoon. I have Apple Arcade.

Thanks!
Watch some movies or TV shows, you will love the mini LED display.
Its a great second screen for macbook pro
I love playing Company Of Heroes on my Ipad, they have a cool interface that makes touch screen more intuitive.

Last edited:

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Roller Coaster Tycoon Classic is nice on the screen, though I use it with the Magic Keyboard so I've got the trackpad.

If you hold your tablet a lot you'll have to re-learn new positions, as the weight/size does make it a bit awkward to hold one-handed at times. But it's not unbearable.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
My order from Best Buy was a mess so I canceled and reordered. Got a 12.9 1TB coming my way on Friday. “We think you’re gonna love it” I think I will! Hoping the 16GB ram will help with gaming, I really want to get into Resident Evil 🤞🏼 thanks for being awesome as always, y’all.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
IMG_4666.jpeg

It’s here and I love it! Not too big at all, it’s fantastic! Now to just get as much out of the power as I can, haha

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
The extra amount of screen is nice to get used to

I get the weight issue but has more strong points than bad
I mean it does weigh more than my Air but it’s not a bad thing! I use it most lounging back in my recliner and it rests nicely on my fat stomach haha. I use a folio that flips back and into a triangle as a stand and with this big boy I’ve just been supporting the back of it with one hand. Very comfortable and easy.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
It’s here and I love it! Not too big at all, it’s fantastic! Now to just get as much out of the power as I can, haha
Ha! I was just going to say you might love it and might not. There's a big thread where people debated 11" vs 12.9". I returned my 12.9" for an 11" but it's great that you enjoy yours.

Reactions: Porterhouse

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I mean it does weigh more than my Air but it’s not a bad thing! I use it most lounging back in my recliner and it rests nicely on my fat stomach haha. I use a folio that flips back and into a triangle as a stand and with this big boy I’ve just been supporting the back of it with one hand. Very comfortable and easy.
Yeah I think it depends how you use the iPad. Even 11 inch I didn’t tend to hold it often. More often the 12.9 is on my lap or with legs up on sofa so the weight doesn’t matter at all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.