Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is a keyboard attachment a must-have accessory for your 12.9-inch iPad Pro

• Yes

Votes: 57 56.4%
  • No

Votes: 44 43.6%

• Total voters

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
Yes for me. I use my iPP as a laptop replacement for my real estate business. I use the Logitech Combo Touch.

View attachment 2373026

Its just too bad the keyboard typing experience isnt better. Comparing it to the Apple Bluetooth magic keyboard and I was blown away how night and day better it is than the Combo Touch one. The keys on the Combo Touch are too mushy, not a strong feedback like the Apple one has, crammed and has even less key travel than the apple one. On the Pro 11, I didnt like how the punctuation keys werent full size and were smaller than the alphabetical keys.Wish I had got this Apple one long ago, it's such a great device considering how thin and light it is.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
My only issue with the Logitech is that if you want to take the case off for some reason, its tough. An already heavy iPad 12.9 is even heavier with the back kickstand on. The Apple Folio has a magnetic back, so its easy to switch between Magic Keyboard and the Folio, which can also be a kickstand - though not as cool as the Logitech and just popping off the magnetic keyboard.
I have both the Logitec Combo and the Magic Keyboard (got both $100 each) and I do agree with that. I almost never use the combo. Especially now that I could find a magnetic back cover with kickstand, just like Samsung Tab S devices.
I love the kickstand, but I also love the weight of the iPad naked. And there is no way I am using it with the cover all the time or that I am bothering to take it out of it multiple times a day.
But that's personal and your milage may vary about that.

Reactions: sparksd

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
Unless you’re in Alberta, it probably more like $500 after 13% HST.

Im in Alberta and even with 5% sales tax, there is no way I'd pay anything close to the MSRP on the ipad Magic keyboard. Especially when I got the Combo Touch AND the bluetooth magic keyboard combined for $100 less than what a ipad magic keyboard would cost me.

Reactions: bondr006

atownguy

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2020
I always felt that the 12.9” was a bit too heavy to use in tablet mode anyways, so might as well put it in a Keyboard Case. But now that the new 13” inch is so much lighter/thinner I‘m kind of curious about going back to using the iPad as it was originally intended- a tablet. I’ve also gotten pretty good at typing on an iPad just using my fingers on the glass, kind of want to just get the Folio case and see how it works out for a bit before I go all in on getting the Magic Keyboard…

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I always felt that the 12.9” was a bit too heavy to use in tablet mode anyways, so might as well put it in a Keyboard Case. But now that the new 13” inch is so much lighter/thinner I‘m kind of curious about going back to using the iPad as it was originally intended- a tablet. I’ve also gotten pretty good at typing on an iPad just using my fingers on the glass, kind of want to just get the Folio case and see how it works out for a bit before I go all in on getting the Magic Keyboard…
I agree. I’ve continued to use my 12.9” M1 iPad Pro exclusively as a tablet, find it to be heavy annd bulky but very usable annd enjoyable nonetheless, and have zero issues typing on the glass. I’m trading it in and picking up the new, lighter and thinner 13” M4 iPad Pro, Pencil Pro and Magic Keyboard on May 15. I’m buying the Magic Keyboard primarily to use it as a stand because it is that much better than the dozens of other stands I’ve explored.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Absolutely have to have the Magic Keyboard, or at least a keyboard of some sort. Then again, I write on mine...Ulysses FTW.
I love Ulysses and miss using it. It’s a great editor, but I gave it up after years of hearing that checklists were going to be in the next release. I switched to Noteplan and stopped checking 3 years ago, but every time I see mention of Ulysses I‘m flooded with fond recall, then disappointment with the years of broken promises — I should probably seek therapy for this. 😂

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I love Ulysses and miss using it. It’s a great editor, but I gave it up after years of hearing that checklists were going to be in the next release. I switched to Noteplan and stopped checking 3 years ago, but every time I see mention of Ulysses I‘m flooded with fond recall, then disappointment with the years of broken promises — I should probably seek therapy for this. 😂
Yeah anything that needs checklists is done in DEVONThink. I would like to eventually use Apple Notes depending on how good it is after the upgrades announced at WWDC.

So I write and edit in Ulysses, do document collection and storage in DEVONThink, and all other note-taking in DEVONThink, but would like to use Apple Notes for that third one possibly.

Edited to add: and I still don't think Ulysses has checklists...

Reactions: heretiq

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Yeah anything that needs checklists is done in DEVONThink. I would like to eventually use Apple Notes depending on how good it is after the upgrades announced at WWDC.

So I write and edit in Ulysses, do document collection and storage in DEVONThink, and all other note-taking in DEVONThink, but would like to use Apple Notes for that third one possibly.

Edited to add: and I still don't think Ulysses has checklists...
I used DevonThink as well and found it impressive but a bit more than I needed. I’m also impressed by the tremendous, but largely unnoticed progress in Apple Notes, but am so comfortable with the “warm blanket” balance of simplicity and utility that Noteplan provides that I can’t muster the effort to look at Apple Notes or anything else at the moment.

I think you’ll appreciate the following for laughs — note the 2015 date — more than 9 years ago the reply was “Checklists will be in the next major release” and yet umpteen releases later, it’s still not there and they’re still giving that same answer when asked. Shameless. 😂:

1715271272547.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

KadMac

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2009
I have both the Logitec Combo and the Magic Keyboard (got both $100 each) and I do agree with that. I almost never use the combo. Especially now that I could find a magnetic back cover with kickstand, just like Samsung Tab S devices.
I love the kickstand, but I also love the weight of the iPad naked. And there is no way I am using it with the cover all the time or that I am bothering to take it out of it multiple times a day.
But that's personal and your milage may vary about that.

Can you link the magnetic back cover with kickstand you are using?

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Doesn’t sound too free to me…
Exactly – and it isn't even the high sale tax which pays health care, but a lot of extra euros of our salary as we are all required to be insured. It always amuses me that Americans really seem to think that our great (or at least much better) health system somehow works "magically". Would be easy for the USA to have the same, but everyone simply would have to pay for this.

atownguy

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2020
Been using my M4 just with just the folio for a couple hours now, and I’m loving it so far. The lighter weight/thickness does seem to make a pretty significant difference in ”holdability”/usability compared to the M2. I’m also faster at typing on the glass with it in landscape with both my hands in my normal physical keyboard typing position than I thought I would be. I’m getting 83 wpm in an online typing test i took, compared to 93 I usually get with a physical keyboard. And honestly it just feels pretty futuristic to be typing on the glass and using this just in tablet mode.

Not sure if it’s just a honeymoon period thing, but I’m happy with the decision to forgo the Magic Keyboard for now

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Been using my M4 just with just the folio for a couple hours now, and I’m loving it so far. The lighter weight/thickness does seem to make a pretty significant difference in ”holdability”/usability compared to the M2. I’m also faster at typing on the glass with it in landscape with both my hands in my normal physical keyboard typing position than I thought I would be. I’m getting 83 wpm in an online typing test i took, compared to 93 I usually get with a physical keyboard. And honestly it just feels pretty futuristic to be typing on the glass and using this just in tablet mode.

Not sure if it’s just a honeymoon period thing, but I’m happy with the decision to forgo the Magic Keyboard for now
Bravo! That's really good to hear. I've made slow progress getting to a decent level of typing proficiency on the software keyboard, and I'm feeling that holding off on buying the new Magic Keyboard will force me to get better quicker. (Plus, this way I can get the 13 inch M4 sooner than if I waited until I could earn the $$ to buy the keyboard at the same time.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.