Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SebCohen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2022
Anyone else experience this?

My iPad Pro 12.9 M1 refuses to charge from the supplied Apple USB-C cable. Regardless if I’m using the charger that came with or any other. Now, this OG cable I’ve only used while travelling so it’s definitely not worn out. It charges everything else fine. At home I’ve only used the Apple 2m (non-braided)….AND it still charges perfectly with this cable.

The 2m cable has more sturdy connectors and always sat better in the iPad. But I used it solely for the extra reach it provided.

Now I’m curious if the sturdier plug has expanded the port such that the OG cable doesn’t get a perfect fit? If I wiggle it, it still won’t receive a charge. So, I’ve only used Apple cables and Apple chargers and this still happened.

In any case, I foresee this soon becoming an issue on an otherwise pristine device. No drops, no dings, no scratches, no bends, no wobble, no antenna gate 😎 or ANY problem whatsoever. Best dawn purchase I’ve ever made in my life.

The crux is my AppleCare+ just expired last month. Plan was always to extend it if I could regardless of this issue, but haven’t checked this yet, but should be ok since I’m still within one month of it expiring. I’m in the EU so this port should in any case be covered by consumer laws here? But I still just want to use AppleCare+ for its hassle free smoothness.

Thought? Ideas?

Cheers

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I’d replace the cable as a first step. You’re making assumptions/extrapolations about the cause, now it’s time to test them.

And yes, I’d certainly extend AC+ so that you have coverage while you conduct the tests.

Reactions: ericwn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.